Comb turning black at tips, getting pale in color

Angie8eggs

Songster
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
I have 2 leghorn hens, and one has a beautiful red comb and wattles, the other ones is more yellowish and is getting black at the tips and towards the bottom of it. Her wattles aren't formed like my other, its like once this black came on, they quit developing. (well i guess she was slower to mature)It's been like this for 4 days. Almost looks like frostbite, with this heat, no way! lol I make sure they all have fresh clean water, not sure what it could be. Lice?? My leghorns are the same age, no others in my flock is showing any symptoms like her. Thanks for any help!

Hi there

I was surfing the net for exactly the same situation you have described with your leghorn hen.

Indeed, I would love someone to tell the answer too.

My hen is active and seemingly very healthy.

look forward

So you are having the same thing to, it's weird! My other leghorn that is the same age as her, laid her first egg today! The one with the black markings is still the same, not really any redder, I know it's not from her getting pecked at, wish I knew what it was to! Hopefully I will find answers! ;)

I was wondering whether she had black mite as she has developed a few black flecks in her feathers. Not sure whether it might be normal colour change as she grows.

Her comb looks black in parts, def. not blue and she's thriving (so far)

I noticed today that her black specks on her comb is starting to go away now, her comb and wattles are red now! Also, her comb looks like it will be flopped over within a week. From last week to today, such a big difference. It was like this for about 3 weeks, hopes whatever it is, will stay away. Other than that, she is as healthy as can be! Hope yours gets better to! How old is yours by the way? Mine is 17 weeks.

My leghorn is not much older than your hen, maybe by a month.

good to hear your hen's spots are going.

I think I might check in with the produce store where I bought her........ they deal with all sorts of things no doubt.

..................... if it's mites, a farmer friend of mine dunks all her hens in a dilution of neem from the nursery mixed in warm water.

I think I might check in with the produce store where I bought her........ they deal with all sorts of things no doubt.
Hi again
I did ring the store and he said the flecks in feathers are part of the breed as she is a cross.
As for the black in comb, he said it would be the result of being pecked by my other two (fearsome Isa's) when I introduced her into the fold. The black is the scab from the healing wound and will drop off and her comb will re-grow.
Indeed, she had a hard time on introduction, fortunate this is the only wound.They all get on very well now.

That's good to hear she will be alright! :) I am glad in both of our cases it was nothing serious! ;)

Back
Top Bottom