Comb, Wattles, around eyes nearly purple

lifthiminsong

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
One of my 3 year old RIRs has been off and on sickly for months. She nearly died a couple times this past Spring and Summer from losing so much weight. I never did find the cause.
Finally, she gained enough weight and energy to go back outside with her sisters. She's been outside, happy, but not laying eggs for about 6 months.
Recently, I'd say about the past 2-3 weeks, she's been plump and healthy with beautiful feathers, but beginning to slow down a bit, acting a little tired but not lethargic. I also was thinking that her comb seemed quite a bit smaller.
Tonight, when she came out with her sisters to get the scratch before bed, I couldn't help but notice that her comb, wattles, skin around her eyes, her whole head, seemed so dark red that it is almost purple. Any ideas what this could be?

I've had, and still have, a RIR inside for a little over a week with (apparent) peritonitis and mites. I don't know if this is at all related, but I thought I'd offer that info just in case.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and help.
This community is such a help.

It could be many things, but I would look at aspergillosis as a possible cause. It comes from mold in the environment. She also could just have a bad heart or other internal problem. Since she is not laying, a reproductive disorder is also possible. Here is a link with common diseases including aspergillosis: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

One of my 3 year old RIRs has been off and on sickly for months. She nearly died a couple times this past Spring and Summer from losing so much weight. I never did find the cause. 
Finally, she gained enough weight and energy to go back outside with her sisters. She's been outside, happy, but not laying eggs for about 6 months.
Recently, I'd say about the past 2-3 weeks, she's been plump and healthy with beautiful feathers, but beginning to slow down a bit, acting a little tired but not lethargic. I also was thinking that her comb seemed quite a bit smaller.
Tonight, when she came out with her sisters to get the scratch before bed, I couldn't help but notice that her comb, wattles, skin around her eyes, her whole head, seemed so dark red that it is almost purple. Any ideas what this could be?

I've had, and still have, a RIR inside for a little over a week with (apparent) peritonitis and mites. I don't know if this is at all related, but I thought I'd offer that info just in case.

Thanks so much for your suggestions and help.
This community is such a help.

There are several diseases that can cause the cyanosis you see. That is a specific symptom so I would start by looking for that among the symptoms and then see if you can match other symptoms to find what you may be dealing with. Here is a long list of disease of poultry with symptoms, signs and possible treatments.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/

Hope it helps.

Back
Top Bottom