Comb & Wattles turning black

Mariakoltsa

Songster
Feb 5, 2019
Australia, QLD
Hey!
I have a chicken who is under a year old and suffers from heat stress a lot, seems to feel hotter than all the other chooks. Im in Australia so its full summer atm.
Dont need advice on what to do with heat stress, already doing it all. :)
But that chickens comb and wattles have started turning black. Nothing external, otherwise comb looks good, no lice or mites.
could she have an issue ? worried...
73D6DB38-A5AD-4CC9-A53E-D45CBA7721EB.jpeg
F2DD2193-610A-48C3-A443-CE71CFB9E8EA.jpeg

her name is Gecko

It looks normal to me. It has black face skin around its eyes so it's not coming from nowhere. Their colour can change with age I've noticed. My chooks feather colours are changing a lot as they get older. And I notice their face skin is different everytime I have to chuck them off a clutch of eggs and steal them - especially the one I've got with darker face skin, comb.. and eyes.

It looks to me like she might be rubbing her comb and front of the wattles against fencing. Black is usually a sign of dried blood. Has she been chased around by a rooster or other chickens? I would do anything to treat it at this point.

It looks to me like she might be rubbing her comb and front of the wattles against fencing. Black is usually a sign of dried blood. Has she been chased around by a rooster or other chickens? I would do anything to treat it at this point.
That is such a clever thought!!! Thank you very much! It doesnt seem to ve getting any worse.. maybe it has gone slightly more but not too noticeably. I will watch out for those things.. thank you ❤️

Back
Top Bottom