Combining Flocks & Flooring

MichellesChickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 13, 2017
I currently have 7 hens, all same breed. They have their coop where they sleep and have nest boxes, which is inside my barn, on one end of that is an inside run for when they don't want to be outside, other end has a door to outside where they have a much bigger outside run. They free range in the late afternoon when I get home from work until they put themselves in for the night. I have a friend moving and she is leaving me her 9 hens, all different breeds. I babysit her chickens when they are out of town, so I know them and their set ups. All of our hens are similar ages. Hers currently have a coop to sleep in with nest boxes and an outside run, and free range occasionally. Best way to combine them for the least stress on all of them?? I've talked to my husband about building a another coop side by side in the barn and sectioning off 1/2 the outside run for them so they can just be neighbors for a bit to get used to each other, but we only have a few days before they are here.

Do they need separate areas to get to know each other? How long?

How long should I keep the new ones from free ranging so they know this is their home? Do I need to do that even?

My girls areas are all dirt floor, the inner run they pretty much have made into where they hang most all day when I'm at work and it's their dust bathe area. If we put a new coop side by side it will have to be on concrete. Advice for that? Probably a stupid question, but will that make it colder this winter for them?

If you and this friend have been back and forth at each other's places, I'd say this cuts way down on the quarantine time, but still, as you're suggesting give them time to get acquainted, separate, but can see each other. Probably a good week I'd think, two if it's not a pain for you. I've seen it done in a day here lol, but these are silkies, so they are more easygoing.

Can you throw down a few inches of horse bedding pellets or something on the concrete?

They will definitely need separate quarters for a while (where they can see each other) until they get used to each other. How big are the spaces you currently have (coop and indoor run), and how much space do you have to allocate to the new birds? Space is especially important during introductions and integrations - the more space they have, the higher the chance for success. Don't go below the minimum of 4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop and 10 in the run, for each set of chickens. It's tricky if you don't have enough time to build/buy anything adequate, but if this is in a barn, can you section off part of the barn for the new birds to go, just as temporary space until they get integrated and ultimately merged with your own flock? And once merged, will you have enough room for all of the chickens in your current coop and indoor run? (note the recommended square footage I mentioned - that's the minimum, for integrated flocks more would be better once they are merged, to reduce tension and aggression brought on by overcrowding).

Definitely don't free range the new flock until they've spent a couple of weeks in their new home and know that that's home. Right now they don't see it as home and may wander off looking for what they've so far known to be their home....

They will definitely need separate quarters for a while (where they can see each other) until they get used to each other. How big are the spaces you currently have (coop and indoor run), and how much space do you have to allocate to the new birds? Space is especially important during introductions and integrations - the more space they have, the higher the chance for success. Don't go below the minimum of 4 sq. ft. per bird in the coop and 10 in the run, for each set of chickens. It's tricky if you don't have enough time to build/buy anything adequate, but if this is in a barn, can you section off part of the barn for the new birds to go, just as temporary space until they get integrated and ultimately merged with your own flock? And once merged, will you have enough room for all of the chickens in your current coop and indoor run? (note the recommended square footage I mentioned - that's the minimum, for integrated flocks more would be better once they are merged, to reduce tension and aggression brought on by overcrowding).

Definitely don't free range the new flock until they've spent a couple of weeks in their new home and know that that's home. Right now they don't see it as home and may wander off looking for what they've so far known to be their home....
Thank you. There is plenty of room in the current coop and runs for all the chickens. I used to have a larger flock until they all passed of old age. I thought I was done having chickens, but then these 7 became available and my husband really wanted chickens, so I gave in. My husband is down to the barn now building a coop and run for the new girls, so they have there own space next to the other girls.

Frankly, I think that if you put them all together all at once, this is one of the few times that would work. What is really hard, is when you introduce LESS chickens to More chickens in a home territory.

But in your situation, you are bringing in more chickens than you have +2, but the original 7 have home court advantage. If you truly have enough space, is I would lock them inside the coop/run in the morning, locking your original birds outside the run, feed along the fence. Let them into the run/coop as near to dark as you dare, and I am thinking they will all roost together. DO NOT lock them in the coop or get down there early in the morning. And check on them often, have multiple feed stations.

I think there will be a bit of bluster, and it will be over.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom