Come meet my Bevy

I have two of these ones, and had to look to see. I wouldn’t say the eyes are bulgy per se but one definitely has a red tinge look to the eyes from what I can tell. The other at moments in the right light kinda looks red too.

I can get better face pictures if you like?
That's what I was afraid of. It sounds like an albino. If it is not already blind, it probably will be soon. You might be able to delay the loss of sight by keeping it in dim lighting, but I have yet to have an albino that didn't need to be culled.

It's good that the eyes aren't bulgy since those usually pass away quickly, but if you choose to keep them, they will need special care and aren't likely to have long lives.

That's what I was afraid of. It sounds like an albino. If it is not already blind, it probably will be soon. You might be able to delay the loss of sight by keeping it in dim lighting, but I have yet to have an albino that didn't need to be culled.

It's good that the eyes aren't bulgy since those usually pass away quickly, but if you choose to keep them, they will need special care and aren't likely to have long lives.
Good to know. Well I will watch them closely and monitor. I have room and indoor amenities with dim lighting to house them separately if I need too. We will take it day by day & I can prep my son for the possibility of a short life.

Good to know. Well I will watch them closely and monitor. I have room and indoor amenities with dim lighting to house them separately if I need too. We will take it day by day & I can prep my son for the possibility of a short life.
I'm glad they'll have the best life they can.

I can do you one better - here's a video of him doing what he loves:

Tuxedo is a dominant gene and Pharoah is recessive to a lot of common genes, English white included.

I'm sorry to hear about Snowy. I love when my quail come up to me - I literally keep roos and hens based on how friendly they are, I'd be heartbroken about losing one of them so young.

I can do you one better - here's a video of him doing what he loves:

Tuxedo is a dominant gene and Pharoah is recessive to a lot of common genes, English white included.

I'm sorry to hear about Snowy. I love when my quail come up to me - I literally keep roos and hens based on how friendly they are, I'd be heartbroken about losing one of them so young.
Haha I love how the gals are like “how the hell did he get up there?!”

I think that is what we are going to try and do as well. The keeping of the friendlier ones. There are times the girls, the ones left, are trying to squish themselves out of whatever crevice they can find to get away from us. I get it as they are a prey animal but dramatic much.

Haha I love how the gals are like “how the hell did he get up there?!”

I think that is what we are going to try and do as well. The keeping of the friendlier ones. There are times the girls, the ones left, are trying to squish themselves out of whatever crevice they can find to get away from us. I get it as they are a prey animal but dramatic much.
They've gotten more and more used to using the planks in the cage, especially the smaller, younger, and probably lighter ones. It's really helpful for when the juveniles are finding their place in the covey as they're able to avoid angry adults more easily.

I've had good luck with two things - having a front-opening cage rather than a top-opening cage, and offering a couple of mealworms or other treats such as apple slices or edible yard weeds to the hens every day or so. I've found that not reaching in from above keeps them much, much calmer, and the treats get them to approach me on their own (and bite the crap out of my hands.)

They've gotten more and more used to using the planks in the cage, especially the smaller, younger, and probably lighter ones. It's really helpful for when the juveniles are finding their place in the covey as they're able to avoid angry adults more easily.

I've had good luck with two things - having a front-opening cage rather than a top-opening cage, and offering a couple of mealworms or other treats such as apple slices or edible yard weeds to the hens every day or so. I've found that not reaching in from above keeps them much, much calmer, and the treats get them to approach me on their own (and bite the crap out of my hands.)
Yup I do the mealworm, sprouts & fruit treats & work on getting them to approach, so does my son.

Our enclosure has a front open door and a slanted top door. Both work great.

Albino quail chicks update: After a few days of being able to watch the chicks, it is pretty obvious one is complete blind (contemplating deafness) and the other may have a bit of vision (can hear), but very limited. They do circles quite often but are managing to forage food from the floor mostly, and I’ve been helping guide them to the water a few times a day to ensure they are getting some hydration.

They tend to follow the sound of the other chicks around but when they hit a wall (literally) or can’t find there way back to the brooder plate they will cheep loudly until either a human or other chick comes to their aid.

Contemplating their setup once the others get kicked out of the house to the coop brooder. My children are working on their dad allowing them to be indoor quail for the rest of their lives (however long that turns out to be). We will see how that turns out. Worst case scenario they will get their own lil pen that is blind bird friendly (dishes stationary, shallow dishes, no ramps).

Regular quail chicks update: I forget how fast they feather out. The 5 day olds are already getting their wing feathers and are working on their jumping skills, preferring to use the brooder plate as a jungle gym then a heat source. They are super friendly and come running out from under the brooder when they see or hear a person approach. Let’s hope we can keep the socializing up and turn out some less flighty birds.

I'm glad you have some time to think about how to house your little albinos. Indoors would be ideal for them, not so much for you. They produce a lot of dust and get stinky fast.

Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom