Committed to get ckicks in Monday

Gravedigger

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
Fair Hill, Maryland
I committed to get 12-15 cornish chicks on Monday. This ill be my first time raising chicks Now I have to get everything together.
How much starter will I need for week old chicks?
How muc

Your feed bag should have a feeding chart on the back. You'll most likely need more than 1 bag of starter. You might want to look at the fermented feed thread, and the info about restricted feeding for meat birds. Have you been to the learning center to read about how to raise chicks? They'll need the heat lamp until they are fully feathered, and have been weaned gradually from their start temp of 90 - 95*.

Your feed bag should have a feeding chart on the back. You'll most likely need more than 1 bag of starter. You might want to look at the fermented feed thread, and the info about restricted feeding for meat birds. Have you been to the learning center to read about how to raise chicks? They'll need the heat lamp until they are fully feathered, and have been weaned gradually from their start temp of 90 - 95*.
I have Premier heating plate on the way to keep chicks warm. Definitely trying fermented feed. How much feed should I start fermenting for twelve chicks that I'm picking up Monday or Tuesday? Been to the learning center, member here since 08 and raised quail in high school(grad '81) just decided now is the time. Building a 4x6x2 brooder out of two sheets of plywood Saturday keeping them in the garage.

Only real question is when can they go outside in the tractor? I have seen 3 weeks to 6 weeks old. Do I start by putting them out during the day and in at night?Planned butchering age 8-10 weeks.

Last edited:
Cornish crosses. I don't know hatchery as I bought from a farm who buys 400 at a time and sells what he can then raises the rest.

Finally got chicks after being a member since 2008.

Back
Top Bottom