compact backyard quail cage progress

Thanks I am in the middle of making some changes to my aquaponics system right now the fish tank used t sit where the quail age is now and I am add to more tanks and two solar panels to heat the water.

Yes my quail cage is inside the porch mostly to hide it form code enforcements view but we do have a problem with raccoons and possums taking the pineapples out of the regular garden so the quail will be safer on the porch it is also right next to the doors box (she killed another raccoon a few nights ago) and being near the dog offers added protection for the quail . the quail cage being on the back porch also makes easy access for me to get to them , as far as cleaning out the quail cages have wire floors 1/2" mesh i all but the brooder cages which have 1/4" mesh under each age is a metal drop pan with 1/2" lip that sides out to take outside and clean it is a little more work then a outside cage where waste drops on the ground but should work fine for me. if you look at the pictures you can see the shinny pans I actual found them at walmart for $11 they are oil drop pans I looked at using the large dog kennel crate plastic drop pans but they where like $25 each. Chicken wire doesn't look the best I had a brand new roll so I used it I'd rather have used 1by2 welded wire if I had to buy it

Well I've made a little more progress bouncing between projects. I built a little shelf on the side of the quail en today that I can sit the main water container on , I still need to get a hose barb fitting but you can see what the shelf looks like in this picture

Nice. On the first photo, I thought you had lights mounted inside of the cage, but looking at the second pic, I see that it was just the light reflecting off of the drop pans. I think one problem you may have, is that the chicken wire may not be enough protection from predators. If you do have one 'coon (or cat) make it far enough to climb the battery, it may be able to reach in and grab a bird and kill it. You may also have a hawk or falcon figure out it's talons or head may fit through the wire like a buffet. There have been plenty of us on this forum who have lost a bird or two to predators.
My neighbors don't seem to mind my bobs each morning... I never complain about their barking dogs, so my quail shouldn't be an issue.
Also, I don't know how "aggressive" your enforcement Nazis are, but you could build a partition (similar to this), with rabbit pics on it and place it between the cage and the view of the street so when the Gestapo looks in with binoculars, it would appear to be a rabbit hutch.
James
edited to add: I like the water system. I use chicken water nipples with a 5 gallon bucket. I used a PVC tee joint to split my water line.

Last edited:
james
well the quail cage is inside a screen porch and I have a dog out side that eliminates predators the ventures to close , so I'm not to worried about predators. My local code enforcement is strict but they can't see that cage even with binoculars where it is located an thus far ite stop out front but don't try walking in the yard with the dog

Well I've made a little more progress bouncing between projects. I built a little shelf on the side of the quail en today that I can sit the main water container on , I still need to get a hose barb fitting but you can see what the shelf looks like in this picture
How tall is your battery cage?

counting the wheels it is 82" tall off the floor and the water pan shelf is 77" off the floor . My height was ,mainly chosen because that would fit under my back porch roof with a few inches to space (but not enough for another set of pens) the width was chosen because of the pan.

The battery is a bit dirty now and well used but it works good

Is it possible for you to show some closer pics of the slope of the cages and poop tray supports, and doors thank you in advance. I'm currently building a smaller one and I'm some what stuck and just need a little guidance.

well if you go back and click on my picture it should open up into a larger picture for you to see.

One mistake I made was building it thinking of "level" concrete when my porch floor sloops away form the house , so I could have used little more sloop in my case but still roll forward however if your level you don't need more sloop the eggs would roll to fast and break .

my sloop is like 1/4" to 3/8" higher at the rear so eggs roll forward you an see it in the side view pictures. the dropping pan supports are level/square with the frame and floor . the frames for both are about the same four side rectangle with one center support (front to back) under the dropping tray . you need to leave at least 1" space on the front for the dropping tray to slide in and out (more if you don't clean often) after you have the front of the floor frame properly spaced above dropping pan that will let you measure for the rear to be 3/8" taller and build form there.

I have also add feeders I used a soldering iron to cut gatoraid and coke bottle in half then make 1.25" holes so bird can get at food they have worked out pretty good

Back
Top Bottom