Complete and Total Newbie

ShadesofSable

Songster
8 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Greetings!
I'm sort of new to chickens. I got spoiled on home grown eggs when my sister in law, and later my dad, had chickens and gave us free eggs, but I've never been in a position to have chickens myself, but here I am! I'm renting a house and the landlord is letting me have a few hens in return for free eggs when they become available, but first I have to get some chickens! To that end, I've signed up here to network and gain knowledge. I've decided to try to hatch my own first, as I've hatched reptile eggs in the past and found it to be very rewarding and not TOO difficult. I only hope chicken eggs are not too far from that! I've constructed a small, simple incubator, and I'm still tweaking it... but I am pretty hopeful!
Anyways, getting away from myself! Sorry, Hi! I'm ShadesofSable: Dog trainer, artists, and Atlanta area local. Nice to meet you!
big_smile.png

images

I have never hatched anything but poultry, but it can't be too awful different. Here is a link to a page on hatching chicks that maybe of help to you...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

Lots of good reads on incubation of chicks and brooding as well.

Good luck with your hatch and keep us posted!!

And welcome to BYC!

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I may not be super active, but I am lurking, reading and learning!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom