Completed Coop

suzrwin

Chirping
Jun 8, 2022
Pacific NW
Husband and I have been working on TheGardenCoop's loft plan a couple hours a weekend since January. Pleased to announce this weekend's opening of Trotting Cat Farm's Ladies Lair.

For those unfamiliar with the plan, it is basically an 11.5 x 9 x 8 open air coop. The entire ceiling is comprised of 6 hardware cloth panels, so it is completely open on the top. The raftered roof is several feet above that. The pop door remains open 24/7 bc the entire coop is covered in hardware cloth, with a hardware cloth skirt. Inside the enclosed area is approx 18 linear feet of roost, with another 22 linear feet in the open area.

We added a few mods--a galvanized 4 hole nest box rather than a self-build wood one; an automatic door leading to a rotating free range area and another covered 9x9 run for those wet or snowy days; a small ramp in the enclosure leading to the roosts (may be overkill).

We do have pics documenting the whole build, but thought I'd share a quick shot of it completed. Moved the ladies in last night (6 of them) and we will retire our Omlet to a transition coop for newbies and as a medical coop.

Edit: adding additional photos to document build

Trotting Cat Farm.jpg

Attachments

• pier foundation 2.jpg
    pier foundation 2.jpg
    544.4 KB · Views: 41
  • pier foundation.jpg
    pier foundation.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 30
  • putting up walls 2.jpg
    putting up walls 2.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 34
  • putting up walls 3.jpg
    putting up walls 3.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 34
  • building walls in the garage - Copy.jpg
    building walls in the garage - Copy.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 31
  • building walls in the garage.jpg
    building walls in the garage.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 29
  • interior framing.jpg
    interior framing.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 35
  • before coop framing.jpg
    before coop framing.jpg
    399.9 KB · Views: 36
  • interior framing.jpg
    interior framing.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 34
  • nest box from outside.jpg
    nest box from outside.jpg
    304.7 KB · Views: 34
  • nest box.jpg
    nest box.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 37
  • getting close.jpg
    getting close.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Computer generated? What an interesting complement. But...thanks ??? Husband does have a good photographic eye, and it was a beautiful PNW day yesterday when we snapped the final pic.

I've thrown in additional pics. Husband and I did all the work on it ourselves except for the day one of our S's inlaw helped raise the sides.

Computer generated? What an interesting complement. But...thanks ??? Husband does have a good photographic eye, and it was a beautiful PNW day yesterday when we snapped the final pic.

I've thrown in additional pics. Husband and I did all the work on it ourselves except for the day one of our S's inlaw helped raise the sides.
Yes, computer generated. As in when being designed on a computer as a concept, in some 3D design software, where all the corners are perfectly straight, EVERYTHING fits like LEGOs, and nothing miscut or outta place. You know, NOT reality. In other common word, you guys did one awesome job.

Finally, here's a shot of our whole setup--the old omlet peeping behind, and the run to the left. There is non-predator proof free range netting to attempt to keep the chickens from straying over to the neighbors'

Attachments

• 20230521_201248.jpg
    20230521_201248.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 43
Yes, computer generated. As in when being designed on a computer as a concept, in some 3D design software, where all the corners are perfectly straight, EVERYTHING fits like LEGOs, and nothing miscut or outta place. You know, NOT reality. In other common word, you guys did one awesome job.
I apologize. I misread that and took offense when I obviously should not have. Thank you for your kind words.

I apologize. I misread that and took offense when I obviously should not have. Thank you for your kind words.
NP. I realize it is not the common complement. A different choice of wording. However in this day and age where, AI is making life like drawings, I was hoping it would be more contemporary.

You could also see it, as many people express doubt but with a "wow!" factor of approval I am sure you have heard before, "NO WAY! That's not real! Come on ur pullin my leg! Get outta here with that. It's too perfect! Too good to be true". In a way a friend would react taunt(with love), as if to say there's no way in hell you did this(as if store bought), but at the same time giving you complement of job well done and admiration..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom