Complicated post of the day....

msdoolittle

Songster
10 Years
Dec 28, 2009
Ok, here goes...

I have 3 eggs that are SUPPOSED to hatch tomorrow under a broody. This will be my first broody hen to hatch chicks in my current flock. Wondering if I need to separate mom and babies as soon as they are dry. I plan on shutting all the other hens out of the coop first thing tomorrow am, so she can be alone. So I get to worry about that, lol.

THEN, I also found out yesterday the hens have lice/mites, so treated them today topically w/ 5% Ivomec, and sprinkled DE in the coop. So now what about the (hopefully soon-to-hatch) chicks? Anyone ever treat a day old?

Anyway, lots going on here...thanks in advance!

They should be seperated ASAP. "Everyone" says that hens do a great job of protecting their chicks. I have had chicks eaten by my flock. For that reason, I always cage my broodies. Perhaps you could somehow enclose her?

The mites thing? I would post under Emergencies.

Best of luck!

personally i would leave the broody in place to raise the chicks.have a BO with 6 chicks out in the coop/run right now and everything seems fine.no problems with the rooster or the broody's sisters.plus i will not have to worry about reintegration

Back
Top Bottom