Compost Piles - Are they bad? Botulism?

CityChook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 9, 2008
Minneapolis, MN
My Coop
My Coop
I was just wondering, after reading a post about botulism, where compost piles were listed among free-range issues. Are they bad? Is it because of the worms? I have two piles that the girls love love love to dig in. I don't put food scraps there (I don't need to feed the raccoons), just chopped oak leaves and grass. Is that okay? I'll put a wall around 'em if I have to, but the girls really like spending time over there. I'd hate to do anything that might hurt them.

I havent heard anything bad about them. I read, I think it was Mother Earth News, about someone letting his chickens(like 30 or so) free range around his hot compost pile. Said they loved it and the chickens keep the compost pile turned.

If you compost right the microbes in the soil will kill off bad bacteria. If you compost in a mound the heat generated will kill off any bacteria problems. Composting is clean, do not put any fat or meat in the heap. Happy composting !!

My girls can't get to the compost pile, such as it is, but they LOVE LOVE LOVE the manure pile. It's straight up horse sh*t, full of juicy bugs, and the BEST PLACE EVER to spend an afternoon diggity-digging if you're a happy hen. It's been going on three years now since I got my first chicks, and no one seems to have suffered a whit from access to the manure pile.

Yes, they are. Chickens should be kept out of them. Just wire them off.

You might not see things like maggots which are attracted to the compost. That's mainly your source of the botulism - as they carry the Clostridium bacteria that cause botulism.

It's just a risk not worth taking as with any place where mildew and fungus and decomposition happens.

There are many official sources on line and off that recognize the compost pile as being a source of botulism.

Personally I'd rather not see someone learn the truth the hard way.

Last edited:
My composted pine shavings pile became so large that it was bursting at the seams, pushing through the 2x4" welded wire fencing which was there to keep the chickens out. Well, unbeknownst to me, they were eating alot of it from the bottom of the pile. Apparently, two of my hens got into a pocket of moldy feed and both developed sour crop. One was in a hard molt as well and I lost her. She died in my arms as I was carrying her to the house to see what we could do for her when she began upchucking all the gunk from her crop. So, learn from my experience, please.

Quote:
sad.png
Boy that's just heartbreaking. And you did all the right stuff!

Chickens are so sneaky.

/hugs

wow.

Sorry to hear that story Speckled.

I had no idea - they seem so darned happy digging around. I swear, they practically skip behind me when I dump the lawn clippings back there. Sigh. I guess I have a new project for the DH.

I'm sure many of the girls were eating around the bottom of the pile, but just those two hens just got into some moldy feed, which is understandable, considering that a complete coop cleanout would include feed in the shavings. We just did not notice how wide that pile was and how close it was to the barrier, so just be aware of those things.

Nathalie, we do try to do all the right things, but being human, things happen. I adore my girls and hate that I couldnt save Velvet.

Back
Top Bottom