Comprehensive list of poisonous plants and trees

Pics
That's a good idea, but it can be hard to identify the plants correctly, which potentially limits our ability to make a truly comprehensive thread on the subject. Doesn't mean we can't try. It will still be useful to some.

But here's some issues I can think of when it comes to plant ID...

For example, there are numerous plants of different species known as 'milkweed' and some of them are toxic whereas others are beneficial for the wildlife, i.e. vital to the lifecycle of some butterflies, or for treating liver conditions in most animals and humans as well. We would need the scientific name as well as the common name, as many common names have multiple plants that are known by them.

Also, we've bred some harmful plants to be less harmful, and some harmless plants to be harmful. It gets ridiculously complicated i.e. in the case of comfrey and other plants intensively cultivated for culinary or commercial purposes. And all too often there is simply no way to tell them apart.

And as for GMO's... Where to start? I know many don't see any harm in them but I don't believe a plant that can grow a completely different species' fruit is going to act the same in the body. I'm referring to something that came home from the grocery shop there, not an anecdotal experience I heard from a friend of a friend or anything like that. I wouldn't allow my animals to graze fields that have grown Roundup-resistant/dependent plants either, for logical reasons. Unfortunately some of these genetically modified things look the same as their non-modified counterparts, i.e. the cabbage which when raw contains the modified venom of scorpions looks the same as normal cabbage. Supposedly the toxins are dealt with by cooking, but who cooks cabbage before feeding it to their animals? And you can't tell what cabbage is modified and what isn't. And there are similar examples of modified vegetables etc throughout the spectrum.

So much of the relevant knowledge is also very locally specific, and as an example Australia has many beneficial, harmless plants which have others which actually look identical in every respect but which are fatally toxic; even the experts aren't much help there. Countries of which the plant species have been documented for longer are easier to deal with.

Another concern is that the chemical makeup of plants change regularly, and often drastically, depending on weather events, the lifecycle of the plant, the soil, etc. For example red sorghum grass is toxic if grazed or cut in its second year. Some plants are only dangerous right after a thunderstorm. Many are dangerous when flowering only.

Not saying all this to try to discourage you, as I believe you've got a good idea; it's all necessary info, but takes a fair bit of study, but it's a field of study, not a short course. Still, everything one step at a time. If people can contribute to it, this thread would be worth its weight in the liveweight of livestock saved by the knowledge. (Potentially thousands of tons of livestock)...

Best wishes.

Last edited:
This article was so helpful. I wish I new more about plant recognition, I'm afraid I will let the chickens out of their pen and they will die of plant poisoning!

This article was so helpful. I wish I new more about plant recognition, I'm afraid I will let the chickens out of their pen and they will die of plant poisoning!

I sympathize with you there, but once you see their quality of life skyrocket once they can freerange as is natural to their species --- it gets to be a case of just letting them take the risk because they need it for full health and happiness. Better a shorter life lived fully than a longer one semi-lived.

I've got some little banty hens who have smashed skeletons which will never heal fully, so a boot from another hen, or a rooster trying to mate, or a significant bump even from coming down from a height they should not have climbed to could be the end of them. As much as I'd prefer to keep them safe, being treasured family pets and all, they are so bored and depressed when nonstop caged that I just have to let them take their chances. There's no substitute for free ranging unless you've got the funds to cage at least a whole acre for them.

But yes, it can be a hard choice. Thankfully they can very quickly learn to identify dangerous plants, by normal standards you can expect at most/on average one loss per 100 chooks going from my experience with cage-bred/reared chooks being introduced to being freeranged as adults.

Best wishes.

Last edited:
I noticed that cala
This is from Chicken Keeping Secrets newsletter​ [COLOR=0000FF]http://www.chickenkeepingsecrets.com[/COLOR] I thought that I would post this for you all:

Hi Graham,

I'm glad you wrote and you are right to be concerned about the
oak tree.

You would absolutely need to make sure your chickens do not eat
any dropped acorns.

Oak leaves as well as acorns can be toxic to chickens and as
chickens are very curious eaters, you can't assume that they will
know to keep away from them.

Chickens will eat most anything!

This would include screws, Styrofoam, most anything so everyone
LISTEN - make sure your chickens have an area that is completely
free from anything they should not ingest.

When it comes to plants though, I know that personally I tend to
not be quite as vigilant.

Especially if it is a plant that I've planted in my garden.

For this reason, I think it would be a good idea to re-post a
list of plants that are toxic to poultry. We posted this list
quite some time ago but because we have so many new readers each
week and because we could all use a reminder, check out this list
for the safety of your flock.

ARUM LILY
AMARYLLIS
ARALIA
ARROWHEAD VINE
AUTUMN CROCUS
AUSTRALIAN FLAMETREE
AUSTRALIAN UMBRELLA TREE
AVOCADO
AZALEA
BANEBERRY
BEANS: (CASTOR, HORSE, FAVA, BROAD, GLORY, SCARLET RUNNER,
MESCAL, NAVY, PREGATORY)
BIRD OF PARADISE
BISHOP'S WEED
BLACK LAUREL
BLACK LOCUST
BLEEDING HEART OR DUTCHMAN'S BREECHES
BLOODROOT
BLUEBONNET
BLUEGREEN ALGAE
BOXWOOD
BRACKEN FERN
BUCKTHORN
BULB FLOWERS: (AMARYLLIS, DAFFODIL, NARCISSUS, HYACINTH & IRIS)
BURDOCK
BUTTERCUP
CACAO
CAMEL BUSH
CASTOR BEAN
CALADIUM
CANA LILY
CARDINAL FLOWER
CHALICE (TRUMPET VINE)
CHERRY TREE
CHINA BERRY TREE
CHRISTMAS CANDLE
CLEMATIS (VIRGINIA BOWER)
CLIVIA
COCKLEBUR
COFFEE (SENNA)
COFFEE BEAN (RATTLEBUSH, RATTLE BOX & COFFEEWEED)
CORAL PLANT
CORIANDER
CORNCOCKLE
COYOTILLO
COWSLIP
CUTLEAF PHILODENDRON
DAFFODIL
DAPHNE
DATURA STRAMONIUM (ANGEL'S TRUMPET)
DEATH CAMUS
DELPHINIUM
DEVIL'S IVY
DIEFFENBACHIA (DUMB CANE)
ELDERBERRY
ELEPHANT EAR (TARO)
ENGLISH IVY
ERGOT
EUCALYPTUS (DRIED, DYED OR TREATED IN FLORAL ARRANGEMENTS)
EUONYMUS (SPINDLE TREE)
EUPHORBIA CACTUS
FALSE HELLEBORE
FLAME TREE
FELT PLANT (MATERNITY, AIR & PANDA PLANTS)
FIG (WEEPING)
FIRE THORN
FLAMINGO FLOWER
FOUR O'CLOCK
FOXGLOVE
GLOTTIDIUM
GOLDEN CHAIN
GRASS: (JOHNSON, SORGHUM, SUDAN & BROOM CORN)
GROUND CHERRY
HEATHS: (KALMIA, LEUCOTHO, PEIRES, RHODODENDRON, MTN. LAUREL,
BLACK LAUREL, ANDROMEDA & AZALEA)
HELIOTROPE
HEMLOCK: (POISON & WATER)
HENBANE
HOLLY
HONEYSUCKLE
HORSE CHESTNUT
HORSE TAIL
HOYA
HYACINTH
HYDRANGEA
IRIS IVY: (ENGLISH & OTHERS)
JACK-IN-THE-PULPIT
JASMINE (JESSAMINE)
JERUSALEM CHERRY
JIMSONWEED
JUNIPER
KY. COFFEE TREE
LANTANA (RED SAGE)
LARKSPUR
LILY OF THE VALLEY
LILY, ARUM
LOBELIA
LOCOWEED (MILK VETCH)
LOCUSTS, BLACK / HONEY
LORDS & LADIES (CUCKOOPINT)
LUPINE
MALANGA
MARIJUANA (HEMP)
MAYAPPLE (MANDRAKE)
MEXICAN BREADFRUIT
MEXICAN POPPY
MILKWEED, COTTON BUSH
MISTLETOE
MOCK ORANGE
MONKSHOOD
MOONSEED
MORNING GLORY
MTN. LAUREL
MUSHROOMS, AMANITA
MYRTLE
NARCISSUS
NETTLES
NIGHTSHADES: (DEADLY, BLACK, GARDEN, WOODY, BITTERSWEET,
EGGPLANT, JERUSALEM CHERRY)
OAK
OLEANDER
OXALIS
PARSLEY
PEACE LILY
PERIWINKLE
PHILODENDRONS: (SPLIT LEAF, SWISS CHEESE, HEART-LEAF)
PIGWEED
POINCIANA
POINSETTIA
POISON IVY
POISON HEMLOCK
POISON OAK: (WESTERN & EASTERN)
POKEWEED
POTATO SHOOTS
POTHOS
PRIVET
PYRACANTHA
RAIN TREE
RANUNCULUS, BUTTERCUP
RAPE
RATTLEBOX, CROTALARIA
RED MAPLE
RED SAGE (LANTANA)
RHUBARB LEAVES
RHODODENDRONS
ROSARY PEA SEEDS
SAND BOX TREE
SKUNK CABBAGE
SORREL (DOCK)
SNOW DROP
SPURGES: (PENCIL TREE, SNOW-ON-MTN, CANDELABRA, CROWN OF THORNS)
STAR OF BETHLEHEM
SWEET PEA
SWISS CHEESE PLANT (MONSTERA)
TANSY RAGWORT
TOBACCO
UMBRELLA PLANT
VETCH: HAIRY/COMMON
VIRGINIA CREEPER
WATTLE
WEEPING FIG
WHITE CEDAR, CHINA BERRY
WISTERIA
YEWS
YELLOW JASMINE

...I hope you're still here and read through the list.

I know that as I typed it, I was reminded of many very common
plants that I had forgotten were unsafe for my flock.

Again for Graham, I applaud you for being concerned about the
safety of your flock and hope you can come up with a workable
[

All of the grasses listed are types of sorghum, and most are used for fodder.

But to be safe, plant millet and wheatgrass. Plant enough so they won't devour them, and both are healthy for the birds.

All of the grasses listed are types of sorghum, and most are used for fodder.

But to be safe, plant millet and wheatgrass. Plant enough so they won't devour them, and both are healthy for the birds.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

Sorghum is toxic at a certain life stages, generally beginning at 2 years old, or after it's cut or been allowed to seed (reports vary and it varies between types too) and it will kill cattle that are allowed to graze it, never mind chooks.

Sorghum can contain lethal levels of prussic acid (better known as cyanide). As well as cyanide, sorghum can have elevated levels of nitrates. Drought, reproduction, attack (whether by insects or human mechanisms) etc can all inspire elevated levels of toxins in the average plant.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom