Comprehensive list of poisonous plants and trees

Pics
One more note: we have over 400 layers and have never lost one due to plant poisoning.

I do agree with the post that says if they are well fed, they usually ...usually... eat and pick on plants that they like.
With that, our chickens have never been exposed to any chemicals... And we raised them from peeps. Also, we supply fresh feed, all certified organic,
at least 6 times a day. Plus, we give them Omri approved aloe. And, we are constantly with them.

Interesting Rebekkalyn.

Also, greetings and
welcome-byc.gif

I don't know what Omri approved Aloe is but I've been reading some interesting information on aloe vera. We have both 'normal' and one example of a pharmaceutical strain of it, plus their crossbred offspring.

My animals (sheep, goat, chooks etc) will eat one or the other type as they feel the need. They're not the same thing at all, it's amazing what chemical differences we breed into plants. If you use them on your skin or taste them you feel the difference too.

Best wishes.

A lot of things are toxic to chickens, humans too for that matter, but dosage plays a huge role. Tomato leaves contain a toxin that in certain quantities can cause serious problems but one bite won’t kill you or a chicken. The leaves taste pretty bitter so what normally happens is that a chicken takes a bite or two of the plant, doesn’t like the taste, and moves on. I used to read that the poisonous substance was solanine but new research shows it is different and they have named it tomatine. Like many toxic substances some people believe that low quantities of tomato leaves actually have a beneficial effect unless you are allergic to them. I’m still not tossing tomato leaves in my tomato sauce.

There are always exceptions to anything. Normally a chicken takes a bite or two and moves on because of the taste. There was a post on here a few years back where a chicken just stood at a tomato plant in the garden and kept eating the leaves. It died. I wasn’t there watching so I’m not sure what actually happened but I tend to believe that the specific chicken had a deficiency that allowed itself to continue eating the plant until it ate a fatal dose. Maybe that chicken had an allergy, maybe it was just coincidence that it died after eating tomato leaves and something else killed it. I don’t know.

Like Chooks, I don’t worry about chickens having access to a tomato plant growing somewhere. In that situation they normally have plenty of other things to choose from and should quickly abandon anything that tastes that bad. But I would not put a tomato plant into a bare run where that was the only thing green. Even that probably would not cause a problem but that’s too much of a temptation.

Thanks everyone for the information! I won't be giving them anymore tomato leaves.. but glad to know they would need to eat a lot to get sick.. I only gave them 2 that I pruned off of plant.

Yes, X2 what Ridgerunner said. It's important to make a distinction between caged and free ranging chickens.

A plant in a run is a very different situation to a plant chooks encounter while free ranging. Chickens which have free ranged and have shown good sense in making dietary choices before can lose that sense if caged for a while, and resort to overconsumption of things they know make them sick.

As with most plant toxicosis cases, no matter the species, the highest risk scenario is animals in a cage, restricted from grazing as they choose, and having only access to something toxic.

Doesn't sound like yours would be at any real risk though, rowenaluth. Good you checked though. :)

Best wishes.

Yes, X2 what Ridgerunner said. It's important to make a distinction between caged and free ranging chickens.

A plant in a run is a very different situation to a plant chooks encounter while free ranging. Chickens which have free ranged and have shown good sense in making dietary choices before can lose that sense if caged for a while, and resort to overconsumption of things they know make them sick.

As with most plant toxicosis cases, no matter the species, the highest risk scenario is animals in a cage, restricted from grazing as they choose, and having only access to something toxic.

Doesn't sound like yours would be at any real risk though, rowenaluth. Good you checked though. :)

Best wishes. 
I'm new to chickens.. so chooks is a chicken?

What about smart weed or knotweed? I'm also curious about bindweed since it's part of the morning glory family. I have an abundance of these two this year and have lost 5 birds to the same symptoms in one coop. The other coop which does not have these weeds is fine and healthy.

Thanks for any input!

Back
Top Bottom