Comprehensive list of poisonous plants and trees

Pics
My goats have eaten huge amount of trumpet vine (the kind with orange/red flowers) for years and have never had any problems. Does anyone know if it is safe to have where ducks could roam?

Marijuana is listed as toxic to poultry, is this based on any factual or scientific evidence or simply placed there for ethical reasons? I'm looking for real answers on the "is marijuana harmful to poultry" question and I don't really care for the ethical views which will inevitably follow. I want scientifically based information on the physically toxic effects of marijuana on poultry. Does anyone have evidence to base the inclusion of marijuana to this list on? Thanks.

My small yard coop sits under 2 china berry trees for shade. I have never lost a chicken to anything but a predator. My 3 year old kept feeding them the leaves through the side of their pen before they were big enough to let out. I explained to him why he should not do that, but he kept it up. My pekin ducks are out there now too. I have seen both chickens and ducks try to eat the berries, but they try to chew them, spitting them out. I think like most things if it is a nibble here or there then that is okay, but obviously, I would not feed it to them. The coop has been there 8 years.

Question: I am planning to have my chicks compost various things in their run...could I put dried iris leaves (from last year) in their run? Spring cleaning the garden is about to start...I just want to make sure that what I use is ok. Otherwise, I will put in regular compost pile (no chicken access...). Thanks!

Quote from ask.extension.org (generally a reputable source of info):
Quote:
If they're dried they're even less likely to be eaten, so it may be safe enough, but that is your call.

Best wishes.

My goats have eaten huge amount of trumpet vine (the kind with orange/red flowers) for years and have never had any problems. Does anyone know if it is safe to have where ducks could roam?

You need to get a specific ID on the plant - a lot of plants share the common name 'Trumpet Vine' and some are highly toxic. There is this info on two plants that are also known as, among other common names, Trumpet Vine.

are green bean castor beans

No. 'Green beans' are the unripe fruit and pods of various cultivars of the 'common bean' Phaseolus vulgaris. But Castor Beans are not truly beans, despite the name, they are seeds from the plant Ricinus communis, the castorbean or castor-oil-plant, which is a species in the spurge family, Euphorbiaceae, and contain the toxin ricin. They're used to make castor oil.

The toxicity of raw castor beans is due to the presence of ricin. According to the American Journal of Emergency Medicine, although the lethal dose of raw castor beans in adult humans is considered to be four to eight seeds, reports of actual poisoning are relatively rare. If not macerated, raw seeds may pass through the digestive tract without releasing any toxins.

Marijuana is listed as toxic to poultry, is this based on any factual or scientific evidence or simply placed there for ethical reasons? I'm looking for real answers on the "is marijuana harmful to poultry" question and I don't really care for the ethical views which will inevitably follow. I want scientifically based information on the physically toxic effects of marijuana on poultry. Does anyone have evidence to base the inclusion of marijuana to this list on? Thanks.

Far as I've been able to discern from the whole confused issue, there is no real science to base the toxic designation upon. Nothing even close to the scientific research you could legitimately use to brand every single nutrient and chemical vital for life as 'toxic'.

Almost all vital nutrients are far more 'toxic' than cannabis, and in most studies on cannabis, the word 'toxicity' is used to refer to euphoria, feelings of wellbeing, sleepiness, increased appetite, increased circulation, etc. :/

Most cases of reported sickness or deaths are anecdotal, and were never proven to be due to the plant itself.

The scarier sounding results of older cannabis/marijuana studies have been thoroughly debunked by modern science - the oft-repeated risks of cognitive dysfunction, lung cancer, etc.

Marijuana, the genuine and original marijuana plant, is a toxic plant vaguely similar-looking which was 'accidentally' misidentified in public awareness campaigns as hemp/cannabis by those with vested interests in outlawing the once commonplace and widely cultivated plant, and I for one do believe it was an intentional smear campaign due to vested financial interests. This plant was an immensely powerful competitor for the energy and petrochemical giants who needed to offload their hazardous waste by displacing safer alternatives such as hemp/cannabis. It was just good business sense, not a conspiracy or woo-woo theory, to destroy their main competitor. A lot of history has been scuffed over to try to hide this fact but there's ample proof remaining and more coming to light.

I've tried to find research proving its toxicity in past but not found a single scientific study that holds water. Almost none of them mention the utter basics a decent study needs to - things like what was actually used (synthetic cannabinoid analogs or substitutes which are known to be highly dangerous, or drugs only based in part on cannabis...? What part of it was used? In what dose? Administered in what form and for what duration...? You know, the basics...

And to top off the pyramid of pseudoscience, the descriptions of the 'toxicoses' resulting could just as well be Herxheimer reactions, such as may occur with any effective medicine, whether pharmaceutical antibiotics or medications, herbs, even just the immune system itself ramping up after a period of suppression.

Past attempts to dig into the phytopharmacology of this plant and find the truth have revealed a minefield of chinese whispers without factual foundation, correlation dressed up as causation, and endless redirection, but very little truth except in objective research concerning its medical benefits. Almost all of the very few studies I've found purporting to prove toxicity use some 'extract' (which could mean anything and be adulterated with anything).

The first link is from the American Veterinary Association, the second is about the use of hemp/cannabis genus for livestock feed. It quotes studies apparently proving toxicity but tracking down and reading those studies just proves what I said before - they just don't hold water. They fail to even list the basics of anything upon which you could base or interpret results worthy of being called a scientific study. Below the second link are links to studies it cites as proving toxicity. But they don't... Which is typical of this plant's mythology. One of them killed rats with an 'extract'. Vague enough.

You could kill rats with an overdose of water, describe the symptoms using the correct clinical terms, and it'd sound like water was the most horrifying thing you could administer to a rat. ;) Any pharmaceutical medication has a longer, scarier, and soundly-verified list of both direct and side effects worthier of losing sleep over than marijuana/cannabis.

Is Fragrant Snowbell Tree (Styrax japonicus) toxic to chickens? I'm looking for small (mature height) shade trees.

It's named on non-toxic lists so I think you'd be safe. I was unable to find any info on its toxicity and that is usually a very good indication that if it is toxic it's one of the rarer sorts, extremely low risk.

My small yard coop sits under 2 china berry trees for shade. I have never lost a chicken to anything but a predator. My 3 year old kept feeding them the leaves through the side of their pen before they were big enough to let out. I explained to him why he should not do that, but he kept it up. My pekin ducks are out there now too. I have seen both chickens and ducks try to eat the berries, but they try to chew them, spitting them out. I think like most things if it is a nibble here or there then that is okay, but obviously, I would not feed it to them. The coop has been there 8 years.

Assuming this is the correct botanical name for the common name you've mentioned, it can be dangerous, to children as well as poultry - but, apparently it's not common.

Quote: Symptoms: the gastrointestinal tract is affected; therefore, common symptoms include vomiting and diarrhea. Occasionally, the central nervous system is affected, and animals are severely depressed or excited.

Treatment: evacuate the affected animal’s gastrointestinal system. Use lentin-carbocal gastrointestinal protectives, respiratory stimulants, and caffeine."

Best wishes.

[COLOR=0000CD]You need to get a specific ID on the plant - a lot of plants share the common name 'Trumpet Vine' and some are highly toxic. There is this info on two plants that are also known as, among other common names, Trumpet Vine.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]No. 'Green beans' are the unripe fruit and pods of various cultivars of the 'common bean' Phaseolus vulgaris. But Castor Beans are not truly beans, despite the name, they are seeds from the plant Ricinus communis, the castorbean or castor-oil-plant, which is a species in the spurge family, Euphorbiaceae, and contain the toxin ricin.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]They're used to make castor oil.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]The toxicity of raw castor beans is due to the presence of ricin.[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000CD]According to the American Journal of Emergency Medicine, although the lethal dose of raw castor beans in adult humans is considered to be four to eight seeds, reports of actual poisoning are relatively rare. If not macerated, raw seeds may pass through the digestive tract without releasing any toxins.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Far as I've been able to discern from the whole confused issue, there is no real science to base the toxic designation upon. Nothing even close to the scientific research you could legitimately use to brand every single nutrient and chemical vital for life as 'toxic'.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Almost all vital nutrients are far more 'toxic' than cannabis, and in most studies on cannabis, the word 'toxicity' is used to refer to euphoria, feelings of wellbeing, sleepiness, increased appetite, increased circulation, etc. :/[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Most cases of reported sickness or deaths are anecdotal, and were never proven to be due to the plant itself.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]The scarier sounding results of older cannabis/marijuana studies have been thoroughly debunked by modern science - the oft-repeated risks of cognitive dysfunction, lung cancer, etc.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Marijuana, the genuine and original marijuana plant, is a toxic plant vaguely similar-looking which was 'accidentally' misidentified in public awareness campaigns as hemp/cannabis by those with vested interests in outlawing the once commonplace and widely cultivated plant, and I for one do believe it was an intentional smear campaign due to vested financial interests. This plant was an immensely powerful competitor for the energy and petrochemical giants who needed to offload their hazardous waste by displacing safer alternatives such as hemp/cannabis. It was just good business sense, not a conspiracy or woo-woo theory, to destroy their main competitor. A lot of history has been scuffed over to try to hide this fact but there's ample proof remaining and more coming to light.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]I've tried to find research proving its toxicity in past but not found a single scientific study that holds water. Almost none of them mention the utter basics a decent study needs to - things like what was actually used (synthetic cannabinoid analogs or substitutes which are known to be highly dangerous, or drugs only based in part on cannabis...? What part of it was used? In what dose? Administered in what form and for what duration...? You know, the basics...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]And to top off the pyramid of pseudoscience, the descriptions of the 'toxicoses' resulting could just as well be Herxheimer reactions, such as may occur with any effective medicine, whether pharmaceutical antibiotics or medications, herbs, even just the immune system itself ramping up after a period of suppression.

Past attempts to dig into the phytopharmacology of this plant and find the truth have revealed a minefield of chinese whispers without factual foundation, correlation dressed up as causation, and endless redirection, but very little truth except in objective research concerning its medical benefits. Almost all of the very few studies I've found purporting to prove toxicity use some 'extract' (which could mean anything and be adulterated with anything).[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]The first link is from the American Veterinary Association, the second is about the use of hemp/cannabis genus for livestock feed. It quotes studies apparently proving toxicity but tracking down and reading those studies just proves what I said before - they just don't hold water. They fail to even list the basics of anything upon which you could base or interpret results worthy of being called a scientific study. Below the second link are links to studies it cites as proving toxicity. But they don't... Which is typical of this plant's mythology. One of them killed rats with an 'extract'. Vague enough.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]You could kill rats with an overdose of water, describe the symptoms using the correct clinical terms, and it'd sound like water was the most horrifying thing you could administer to a rat. ;) Any pharmaceutical medication has a longer, scarier, and soundly-verified list of both direct and side effects worthier of losing sleep over than marijuana/cannabis. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD] [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000CD]Cannabis is being considered for livestock use by the commercial poultry industry as grain-based feeding is rife with health issues and is incredibly inefficient use of land, water, resources etc, so I don't doubt in our lifetimes we'll see cannabis feeding become routine again as it once was. The seeds in particular, I expect.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]It's named on non-toxic lists so I think you'd be safe. I was unable to find any info on its toxicity and that is usually a very good indication that if it is toxic it's one of the rarer sorts, extremely low risk.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Assuming this is the correct botanical name for the common name you've mentioned, it can be dangerous, to children as well as poultry - but, apparently it's not common.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Best wishes.[/COLOR]

Wow you sure do know a lot on that and have def done your research! Interesting info, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom