Concern about my bird

melissathib

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
DeRidder, Louisiana
I have a cream legbar/bielfelder cross who is nearly a year old. She's one of a flock of 8 hens and 1 super sweet rooster. In the past day or 2, she has started acting a little differently. She keeps to herself and is losing feathers around her vent and tail, and she looks generally disheveled. The skin isn't red or irritated, though. She drinks fine and eats grass/greens fine when they are out of the run in our yard. She also attacked the mealworms I gave as treats yesterday. But she doesn't seem interested in their feed, and her crop didn't feel gritty or full when I felt it. She's also the only one who jumps up on my arm when I have their cup of treats and let's me touch/interact with her. Now, she doesn't let me hold her or jump on my arm.

I have vitamins in the water and put VetRx under her wings, etc. Any suggestions for what else to do for her, or what the problem could be? Thanks in advance!

Do you see pin feathers coming in where the bald spots are? All of her symptoms and behavior point to molt, although it's a bit soon.
I do see what I think may be pin feathers around her vent area and around her wings, etc. I thought if it was molt, it would start on her head/neck area. Is that not necessarily the case?

Molt can be different in individuals. There is a common pattern of molt, but all don't necessarily adhere to it. You may have a rule breaker.

I have a couple myself. Fall and early winter is when most chickens have their first molts and subsequent ones. I have a mother/daughter set of Cream Legbars that wear their tattered feathers all winter and molt come June.

I do see what I think may be pin feathers around her vent area and around her wings, etc. I thought if it was molt, it would start on her head/neck area. Is that not necessarily the case?
I don't think any of my birds follow the head first rule when it comes to molting.
Check for mites or feather picking. But if pin feathers are coming in I'd say it's a molt starting. Keep in mind they are sensitive while molting. I've had several girls be down right crabby. Those new feathers are little tuning forks.
Keep an eye on her for any other changes and let us know. But eating and drinking, normal poop, new feathers...molting.

Molt can be different in individuals. There is a common pattern of molt, but all don't necessarily adhere to it. You may have a rule breaker.

I have a couple myself. Fall and early winter is when most chickens have their first molts and subsequent ones. I have a mother/daughter set of Cream Legbars that wear their tattered feathers all winter and molt come June.
That's good to know! Thanks!

I don't think any of my birds follow the head first rule when it comes to molting.
Check for mites or feather picking. But if pin feathers are coming in I'd say it's a molt starting. Keep in mind they are sensitive while molting. I've had several girls be down right crabby. Those new feathers are little tuning forks.
Keep an eye on her for any other changes and let us know. But eating and drinking, normal poop, new feathers...molting.
Would that explain her not being interested in her feed, but eating lots of greens and mealworms? And she's drinking up their vitamin-enriched water. And would it explain her keeping to herself? As for mites, wouldn't my others be suffering some of the same ill effects if that were the case? I really don't think it is mites as I clean the hay from the coop monthly and lay down new DE every week. But I could certainly be wrong. I've only been doing this for just over a year! Still learning!
Thanks for your input!

When I replied to your original post, I saw the part where your hen had become standoffish. That's a very common characteristic of molt behavior. I have some exceedingly cuddly hens, and they absolutely refuse to be so much as touched during molt. I know their molt is finally over when they slip under my arm and wiggle into my lap while I'm down scooping poop.

Would that explain her not being interested in her feed, but eating lots of greens and mealworms? And she's drinking up their vitamin-enriched water. And would it explain her keeping to herself? As for mites, wouldn't my others be suffering some of the same ill effects if that were the case? I really don't think it is mites as I clean the hay from the coop monthly and lay down new DE every week. But I could certainly be wrong. I've only been doing this for just over a year! Still learning!
Thanks for your input!

She may be seeking out extra protein and supplements to help her through her molt. They can feel rather crummy while they grow new feathers. Is she laying eggs? Hens stop laying during a molt to put all efforts into feathers. She could isolate herself cause she feels under the weather. I noticed serious attitude changes in several of my first year molters this year. Refuse to leave the coop and down right rude to each other. It's like a person having a slight cold. You feel crappy, you don't want to socialize and you just want it to pass so you feel better. :D
Mites are an easy thing to look for. So it's often suggested to double check that there aren't any.
It really sounds like a molt to me.

Back
Top Bottom