Condition chickens To be held?

BonnieFierce

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
Hi all,
is it too late to condition them to allow me to pick them up at 14 weeks old? If not, how would I begin this process?
Backstory:
I have had all of my chickens since they were 2 weeks old. They are now 14 weeks old. They are red and gold sex links chickens.

When I kept them in the brooder that was inside my house, I would take them out, Beginning around four weeks Old, to get some outside time. They never liked me picking them up and I didn’t really like to because I felt like I was stressing them out too much… So once I would grab them, I would put them in a big container with a lid and carry them outside, where I would pick them up once more and put them in the dog kennel to graze. I did that quite a bit as they were young and in the house and they never got used to me grabbing them and putting them in the bucket to take them outside.

They have now been in their coop and run for a long time and they’re extremely friendly but they still don’t like me touching them at any time. they will eat out of my hand and they were super curious when I am gardening or fixing things in their run.

I want to be able to pick them up and let them graze in certain areas in the backyard..
Thanks all!!

To start, I try not to grab them. Then work on getting them to follow you. I use food combined with tidbit calls I make myself. Hungry birds will follow you but birds, even when satiated on feed will come for insect fare like live meal worms. I work to get birds to approach using small rewards with the meal worms. It may take a couple hours over a few days in total to get birds to come and perch on you and when called can learn to fly up into your hands or on your shoulders. Most of my birds now have the training start shortly after hatch often with their mother helping me out, although I also do similar with roosters that have never been handled until nearly 8 months old. Younger means faster training.

I have tamed wild chickens when they were six months old. If you made any sudden movements or got to close there would be screaming and taking off. Now they love being held. I think sex links are more friendly when they get to egg-laying stage like mine were.

Videos below have age on them.

Chick after modest training where earlier steps had him coming to me in pen / brooder followed by leaving brooder to fly to my hand a couple feet away.

Example of process with chicks.

Video below shows how an adult responds after training.

I try not to hold mine unless I'm checking them over, changing leg-rings, or performing first aid. Chickens are free spirits at heart, and like to make their own way about. With that said, I bring food, so I am always going to get a great reception, some of the hens will hop up on my knee, or gently nudge my hand as I fill feeders and drinkers, and two of my cockerels will let themselves be stroked, but not picked up really.

If you need to pick them up to check them over, I suggest doing so at night when they're on the roost; chasing them around is only going to make them more wary of you.

Remember that in the brooder, from their point of view, you're this giant figure looming over their little world, so they're bound to be a little wary. This tends to change as they grow and start to see you in the 'real world'.

Back
Top Bottom