Confused on what to feed my chickens

Lorraine Perth

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
Perth Western Australia
Hope you can help. I want to keep my chicken feeding as simple as possible. I have read a few threads and I am now confused as to what is best, but simple. I am new to this so any help appreciated. I live in Perth Western Australia so cold will never be an issue. I currently am feeding them laying pellets which they always have access to via an automatic feeder triggered by them standing on it, food scraps, mostly fruit and vegetables given almost every day and shell grit, ands thats it. Which is better laying pellets or crushed laying pellets? Do I need to add anything to their water? Finally what will keep their yolks nice and orange.

Pellets waste less than crumbles, so it sounds like you are feeding them a perfect diet.

I don't put anything in the water, personally. Some put apple cider vinegar but I have never tried it.

They need granite grit if they aren't free ranging, but if they can find rocks in the soil for their gizzard then they are fine.

Yeah, I would say that is good enough. My hens just eat dirt and any small pebbles that they can find, so I don't feed them grit.

Last edited:
Sound's like you are doing a fine job of feeding your chickens
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom