Confusing RR behavior

JonB

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Michigan
I have a year old RR hen, that hasn't laid since late February or so. She's solid and healthy body-wise, eats and drinks and poops regularly...yet, can't seem to make it happen? She'll go in and lay on a nest like she's going to, but nothing is ever there. I felt for egg-boundness, and nothing. Once in awhile, she acts kinda bummy, sulking a little and just laying in the hen house. I get worried, but then she'll go about like normal. Any ideas? Seems quite strange, especially since the others have ramped back up to an egg a day or close to it...

She certainly isn't thin by any means...lol. She's a thick, solid hen. Very well proportioned. She's in the house making the putting sounds a laying hen does as we speak, but there will be no egg when she comes out. Like I said, she has laid before, just not in awhile. She acts and seems very healthy...

She certainly isn't thin by any means...lol. She's a thick, solid hen. Very well proportioned. She's in the house making the putting sounds a laying hen does as we speak, but there will be no egg when she comes out. Like I said, she has laid before, just not in awhile. She acts and seems very healthy...
Well if she is healthy but just not laying then I wouldn't worry if it were me.

But when she gets sulky make sure she isn't doing anything else strange, like having diarrhea or gasping, etc.

Sulky does worry me.

Maybe sulky wasn't a good word to use. She'll sometimes just not be running around active like usual, but I imagine even chickens can have moods like us. Maybe she just wants to hang for a bit...she seems to be fine. She was getting fired up today, like usual, when our BR in an adjacent pen came close to her run....lol. She's a brat sometimes...

Last edited:
Maybe sulky wasn't a good word to use. She'll sometimes just not be running around active like usual, but I imagine even chickens can have moods like us. Maybe she just wants to hang for a bit...she seems to be fine. She was getting fired up today, like usual, when our BR in an adjacent pen came close to her run....lol. She's a brat sometimes...
Sounds OK then! Just keep an eye! :)

Back
Top Bottom