Congested Chicken? Now A Gurgle?

LittleYellowOne

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Harford County, Maryland
My Blackie's been doing this for a few months now, and seeing as he's still up and kicking, I don't think it's an emergency, I'm just curious if it's normal or if I should be worried...

Every now and then when he's breathing, he kinda makes a noise like his "nose" is stuffed up... I wish I could imitate it by typing it out, but that's the best way I can describe it. He doesn't do it with every breath, and it happens more when I pick him up and such, but it happens several times a day for a few months now.

He has no discharge, fever, lethargy, excess sneezing or any other symptom of illness, just his occasional "stuffy-nose" breathing.

So, any ideas as to what could be causing it, or what the problem could be? Should I be worried? And if I should, what can I do to fix it?

ETA:

1) What type of bird , age and weight- 7 month old Silkie cockeral...not sure of weight...
2) What is the behavior, exactly- Stated above.
3) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.- N/A
4) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.- No idea.
5) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.- I dunno exactly what it's called, but it's your standard chicken-food that our local mill grinds up. And he gets the occasional snack. Oh and he drinks the well-water we drink.
6) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.- His poop is normal.
7) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?- Nothing.
8 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?- I wanna fix it myself.
9) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.- N/A
10) Describe the housing/bedding in use.- House chicken in large rabbit cage in my living room with pine-shavings for bedding.

Last edited:
It's been two days, am I allowed to bump now?
roll.png

If he is eating and drinking and normal in all other respects I wouldn't worry about it too much or give any meds at this point especially since you said it has been going on for a few months. Maybe he just has an odd way of breathing. Or, since you said it happens when you pick him up - if he's heavy, it could be compressing his lungs a bit and making his breathing sound odd.

Just a few seconds ago, he was running the gamut of his usual sounds, and it seems he got interrupted while making one with a gurgling sound. He made it at the end, after his "bawking", and it kinda sounded like he was gargling with water. I rushed over there, and there was liquid on his comb, beak and "chin" area.

Still seems to be eating and acting normally, checked comb for signs of fever and still has none. Listened closely to his breathing and it seems to be fine...

Am I just being paranoid? Is it possible that he was just trying to "talk" too soon after taking a drink? Or can water go down the "wrong hole" just like with us? I smelled the liquid and such, it doesn't smell like anything, and it was clear and had the consistancy of water...

I'm keeping an extra close eye on him now and I'm very worried... should I do anything? Antibiotics? That Vet RX stuff I heard about?

I heard natural remedies are good, like a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in the water and garlic. What does anyone think about that? Has anyone found that to be helpful when dealing with an ongoing cold? I believe someone told me it could prevent further problems.
idunno.gif

I hope your roo does get better. Those silkies are adorable.

I just let my girls out this mornin and mine has been doing the same
he.gif
but i think it sound like its lungs is ful of gook and she has been walking very slow? I been haveing trouble getting over it I've also lost $30 in pullets and 2 chicks while gone on thanksgiving I really can't take any more
hit.gif
hit.gif
please anything HELP!!!

My favorite girl "Judy-Chicken" has just started with this same problem! Except she doesn't make any of her normal sounds at all. Everything she says sounds juicy and like she has a sore throat
sad.png

I feel bad for her. Any insight?

I feel for everyone who is watching their chickens suffer with "colds". Though chickens don't get normal colds like humans do, they do get any number of upper respiratory infections - some can be treated with antibiotics and recover and some don't - some are bacterial - some virus - some fungus. I just lost a huge beautiful rooster after noticing he was sounding like he had a cold. Despite all efforts and a week in the house in my kitchen and me actually pulling globs of thick mucus out of his throat twice a day and giving him everything the vet and I could come up with - he just got worse and worse and finally died. He did not have any runny eyes or nose, just sounded like he had pneumonia and had all that sticky mucus in his throat.

Everyone has different opinions on using antibiotics so you have to go with what you believe. There are pros and cons to each. Tylan and Baytril are two that work well on respiratory infections that are bacterial related - if it's a virus they will do nothing.

Like humans, sometimes they will recover without doing anything and sometimes they won't recover despite doing everything.

Wish I could help more but I still haven't buried my big gentle giant that I tried so hard to save so I don't have any words of wisdom or magic cure.

I can advise, keep them warm and dry and well fed with vitamins and extra food like scrambled egg. If they keep eating/drinking it's always a good sign.

I have one like this too-and it seems that she is worse when there is lots of moisture. It is really wet this morning and she is worse. The others don't seem to have the problem. We are getting epic amounts of rain around here so keeping dry is really tough right now!

We recently had the gurgling issue and it was sour crop. I'm not saying that's what you have, but does your bird have a swollen, mushy crop?

Back
Top Bottom