Considering getting a pygmy goat?

MonkeyZero

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Modesto Ca
Hi
I am looking into getting a female pygmy goat(im afraid of getting stabbed by the males lol)

So I was wondering about any pros and cons
And also are they loud? And smelly?
And finally, will they eat my house? Because I heard a rumor that they eat everything and damage houses all the time.
Thanks
ANy extra pointers are good too

Pygmy goats are kind of a pain. I have goats (12) and the dairy type are much nicer animals although larger. A pygmy(or any goat) will eat your flowers, jump on your car, pee on your couch and eat down your pine trees. You need to have secure fencing that they cant climb or jump over. THey are like deer, they like the bark of trees and leaves. This is great when you trim your fruit trees! They cannot survive on grass and need a good quality hay. I believe they are lonely if they dont have a buddy. Can be a rooster, horse, dog or a cow but if they dont have something they usually cry incessantly!
They dont eat everything! If they are hungry they will try though. Both male and females have horns unless you have them dehorned and they dont really smell. My bucks get fragrant in the fall--starting now--but if they are wethered they really dont smell if kept clean.
I have owned goats for about 25 years...this is some of my experience...good luck! Terri O

Alrighty!
A goat is a big no no for me
We have a secure side of my backard but id rather not take a chance...
Thanks lol
smile.png

We have a few dairy's and one pygmy. The are very lovable but they try to follow the kids in the house when they are out free ranging. our little pygmy girl was out the other morning and wanted to ride the school bus with my son. Today we went for a walk while the goats we free ranging and the decided to join us...as they ate all the flowers and tree's along the drive (not to much of a biggy cause we havent landscaped yet). The kids adore our little pygmy...kiwi is her name. She is very attached to the kids but is still young.

63412_sat_122.jpg

Back
Top Bottom