Considering getting a rooster for our flock of hens

Gotalotofpetstoo

Songster
Jan 11, 2023
Western NC
Since our journey with Ethel, we have gained a whole new appreciation and perspective for chickens. Many of you followed my posts about Ethel and know that she is now gone as of a few weeks ago. She taught us so much about chickens and now the chickens that live here will live their lives being well cared for as pets, not just egg machines. Have a total of 21 chickens at the moment, 4 of them are older, close to probably 7 years old and are 3 golden comets and 1 Americana. 5 are light brahmas about 7 months old, and 3 are 7 month old Americanas. All of the above are free range during the day and locked in their new coop at night. They are all hens. The other nine are bantams so they do not get to free range mainly due to hawks and their small size. My question in this post is this: we want to add a black rooster to the free range flock. Because we learned that we had Marek's in some of our chickens and now on our property, we would only want to get a rooster from a hatchery that has been vaccinated for Marek's. The 7 month old light brahmas came from McMurray and the 3 Americanas came from another hatchery and were all vaccinated. We got them at 12 weeks old, not directly from the hatcheries. McMurray is the only hatchery that I really know of out of the many out there. We don't really want or need six or more chickens but from what I've seen that is usually the minimum order. I'm looking for suggestions on a reputable hatchery and also a good breed that comes in black that we can add to our free range flock. We are not looking to raise any babies as we collect eggs every day, we just want the rooster as an added level of protection for the free range girls. I was thinking a Jersey giant, but would he be too big and hurt our girls when he breeds them, which I know he's going to do.
Since Ethel came into our life and she had Marek's, I've done a lot of reading on that subject, and I've read a lot of people saying that once you have it, you should not bring new birds onto your property for at least 2 to 3 years after your last chicken is gone, but if I get one or six that are vaccinated, is it safe to bring it on the property? Please be kind with your replies, I'm still learning and trying to do the best by the chickens that are here.
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@mrskenmore
@Wyorp Rock
@azygous

Attachments

• PXL_20230731_001933862.jpg
    PXL_20230731_001933862.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20230624_161035999.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    PXL_20230624_161035999.PORTRAIT.ORIGINAL.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20230705_203545795.jpg
    PXL_20230705_203545795.jpg
    937.1 KB · Views: 6
  • PXL_20230508_152049443.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230508_152049443.MP~2.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Since our journey with Ethel, we have gained a whole new appreciation and perspective for chickens. Many of you followed my posts about Ethel and know that she is now gone as of a few weeks ago. She taught us so much about chickens and now the chickens that live here will live their lives being well cared for as pets, not just egg machines. Have a total of 21 chickens at the moment, 4 of them are older, close to probably 7 years old and are 3 golden comets and 1 Americana. 5 are light brahmas about 7 months old, and 3 are 7 month old Americanas. All of the above are free range during the day and locked in their new coop at night. They are all hens. The other nine are bantams so they do not get to free range mainly due to hawks and their small size. My question in this post is this: we want to add a black rooster to the free range flock. Because we learned that we had Marek's in some of our chickens and now on our property, we would only want to get a rooster from a hatchery that has been vaccinated for Marek's. The 7 month old light brahmas came from McMurray and the 3 Americanas came from another hatchery and were all vaccinated. We got them at 12 weeks old, not directly from the hatcheries. McMurray is the only hatchery that I really know of out of the many out there. We don't really want or need six or more chickens but from what I've seen that is usually the minimum order. I'm looking for suggestions on a reputable hatchery and also a good breed that comes in black that we can add to our free range flock. We are not looking to raise any babies as we collect eggs every day, we just want the rooster as an added level of protection for the free range girls. I was thinking a Jersey giant, but would he be too big and hurt our girls when he breeds them, which I know he's going to do.
Since Ethel came into our life and she had Marek's, I've done a lot of reading on that subject, and I've read a lot of people saying that once you have it, you should not bring new birds onto your property for at least 2 to 3 years after your last chicken is gone, but if I get one or six that are vaccinated, is it safe to bring it on the property? Please be kind with your replies, I'm still learning and trying to do the best by the chickens that are here.
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@mrskenmore
@Wyorp Rock
@azygous
I don't have an answer if it's safe to introduce new vaccinated chickens. Mt Healthy hatcheries in OH vaccinates against mareks and minimum order is 3 during the warmer months but later in the year like this they are often out of a lot of varieties.

As I read your post, I immediately thought of two ideas that have already been suggested, which is 1) Mt Healthy ships as few as 3 chicks, and 2) a black Australorp is another excellent black chicken breed to consider.

As far as bringing Mareks-vaccinated chicks onto your property, the general rule is the chicks should not be exposed to a Marek's-infected flock before they are two weeks old, because they need this time to develop immunity to the virus. This means you should take precautions to ensure no chance of exposure to the virus in dander, your clothes, hair, etc. I have seen the required time for a chick to build immunity stated as between 4 days to 2 weeks, but I would try to keep them separated for 2 weeks just to be sure. It is true that the virus can remain viable in the environment for a number of years, and that is the purpose of the vaccine, to protect chickens from developing Marek's tumors so it isn't necessary to wait years before acquiring more chickens. There is some controversy over the vaccine because it inhibits tumors but may not stop vaccinated birds from shedding and spreading the virus to other non-vaccinated birds. Each individual has their own decision to make, but if my flock carried Marek's Disease, I would definitely purchase vaccinated chicks from a reputable hatchery.

Because we learned that we had Marek's in some of our chickens and now on our property, we would only want to get a rooster from a hatchery that has been vaccinated for Marek's.

I'm looking for suggestions on a reputable hatchery and also a good breed that comes in black that we can add to our free range flock. We are not looking to raise any babies as we collect eggs every day, we just want the rooster as an added level of protection for the free range girls.
Just about any large hatchery would be a good choice to use.
Some hatcheries do offer the option for small orders (3 or more) during certain times of the year when the weather is warm, so do check with Murray McMurray if you've been happy with them. I've used Meyer Hatchery several times since I'm in NC, the order gets here fairly quickly (usually overnight) and chicks arrive healthy.
Hoover's is usually what my TSC uses and I've had TSC chicks with no issues as well - it really just depends on personal preference and trying out companies and finding one your happy with.

I don't vaccinate, but since you do have confirmed Marek's within your flock, vaccination may be the best course to take for your situation. The vaccine doesn't prevent infection from the virus but can slow the formation of tumors. As @Allsfairinloveandbugs mentioned, vaccinated chicks need to be quarantined and have NO exposure to the virus for at least 2 weeks so they can build "resistance". As you know, Marek's is spread in dust/dander, on clothes, equipment, etc., so you would want to do your best to minimize exposure the best you can - hard to do when you have chores and are tending to different groups of birds/animals. Do the best you can.

As far as breed - you want a black rooster. There's numerous possibilities and it really depends on what catches your eye and perhaps breeds the hatcheries have available. https://www.thehappychickencoop.com/14-black-chicken-breeds-you-can-easily-raise/

A rooster will change the dynamics of your all hen flock just so you know. Yes, the hens will still come and talk to you, but it will be different, especially if you have a good rooster that the hens like. A rooster will alert the hens to danger and of course will work to find goodies for the girls, but I wouldn't count on him to defend them - he's a chicken too ya know:)

I hope you find what you're looking for, I enjoy having roosters and watching them interact with hens.

As I read your post, I immediately thought of two ideas that have already been suggested, which is 1) Mt Healthy ships as few as 3 chicks, and 2) a black Australorp is another excellent black chicken breed to consider.

As far as bringing Mareks-vaccinated chicks onto your property, the general rule is the chicks should not be exposed to a Marek's-infected flock before they are two weeks old, because they need this time to develop immunity to the virus. This means you should take precautions to ensure no chance of exposure to the virus in dander, your clothes, hair, etc. I have seen the required time for a chick to build immunity stated as between 4 days to 2 weeks, but I would try to keep them separated for 2 weeks just to be sure. It is true that the virus can remain viable in the environment for a number of years, and that is the purpose of the vaccine, to protect chickens from developing Marek's tumors so it isn't necessary to wait years before acquiring more chickens. There is some controversy over the vaccine because it inhibits tumors but may not stop vaccinated birds from shedding and spreading the virus to other non-vaccinated birds. Each individual has their own decision to make, but if my flock carried Marek's Disease, I would definitely purchase vaccinated chicks from a reputable hatchery.
Thanks for your input. If we do decide to get a, or as few as possible, chicks from a hatchery, they will be kept inside at our house for many weeks before we turn them out or introduce them to the flock. A lot to think about. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I just want to bring one point up. (I also have Mareks in my flock)
While I love roosters, and lots of them are really nice, working together with their humans, and caring for their hens, but unfortunately there is always that percentage of cockerels/roosters that are jerks. Some people might eat them, but as you mention you are keeping them as pet I imagine you wouldn't want to go that route. And as he would be a Mareks carrier, you wouldn't be able to rehome him either.
I expect you have thought of all this, but I just though I should point it out, as I have had that problem a few times.

Back
Top Bottom