Starting a New Flock!

I do from day one because they may eat fluff. You have a beautiful new flock family! We have australorps and absolutely love them. I had never heard of a cherry egger and had to look that one up. Very cool breed :) May they all be hens - if that's what you wanted.
Thanks TaylorGlade! My wife loves that breed ! lol how many do you have?

We hadn’t heard of a Cherry egger either. While on our 4 day chick hunt we came across her in Norco California in a feed store. And you all know what happens from there, we had to have one!! 🤷🏼‍♂️ This is a picture of her a week ago.

Praying for all hens!

Attachments

• IMG_5589.jpeg
    IMG_5589.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 7
Grit can be offered at any point and will help them break down any bedding or bugs they might pick up and eat.
Thanks for the advice! It’s been a while since we started fresh with chicks. We picked up some chick grit today at our local feed store and sprinkled a little bit on top of their food. They told us to do that for two days then offer it as free choice. We also picked up some treats!!!

Thanks TaylorGlade! My wife loves that breed ! lol how many do you have?

We hadn’t heard of a Cherry egger either. While on our 4 day chick hunt we came across her in Norco California in a feed store. And you all know what happens from there, we had to have one!! 🤷🏼‍♂️ This is a picture of her a week ago.

Praying for all hens!
The australorps are one of my husband's favorite breeds. They are super friendly and beautiful. We have seventeen of them. I love auto-sexing breeds because I'm much less likely to end up with roos. We have twelve cream legbars. We also have one Lavendar Amerecauna, and 4 Sapphire Olive Eggers. One of our Australorps went broody, so we gave her some of our banyard mix eggs and she managed to hatch four of them. It looks like they are 2 Cream Legbar/Australorp (probably roos), 1 Amerecauna/Legbar (hoping for hen), and 1 Australorp. Additionally, in our brooder, we have four marans (not sure what type), and 6 Silver Bielefelders (Autosexing like the Cream legbars). AND 7 of the silver eggs in an incubator (though, I'm sure two are non-starters).

Your little Cherry is beautiful. I love the color. And yes - I know how it goes - just had to have one. That's how it was with me and the Sapphires. They are not the heritage breeds we usually go for, but I wanted to breed for olive eggers anyway. This just took out a step - and then, we get a broody who probably just did it for us! LOL

The australorps are one of my husband's favorite breeds. They are super friendly and beautiful. We have seventeen of them. I love auto-sexing breeds because I'm much less likely to end up with roos. We have twelve cream legbars. We also have one Lavendar Amerecauna, and 4 Sapphire Olive Eggers. One of our Australorps went broody, so we gave her some of our banyard mix eggs and she managed to hatch four of them. It looks like they are 2 Cream Legbar/Australorp (probably roos), 1 Amerecauna/Legbar (hoping for hen), and 1 Australorp. Additionally, in our brooder, we have four marans (not sure what type), and 6 Silver Bielefelders (Autosexing like the Cream legbars). AND 7 of the silver eggs in an incubator (though, I'm sure two are non-starters).

Your little Cherry is beautiful. I love the color. And yes - I know how it goes - just had to have one. That's how it was with me and the Sapphires. They are not the heritage breeds we usually go for, but I wanted to breed for olive eggers anyway. This just took out a step - and then, we get a broody who probably just did it for us! LOL
17, wow!!!

17, wow!! That’s awesome! Some day we will try breeding but for now we are sticking with hens, lol.

17, wow!!!

17, wow!! That’s awesome! Some day we will try breeding but for now we are sticking with hens, lol.

Well, I wouldn't call what happened breeding. It's more like nature taking it's course. We were sticking with hens too - but Australorps are tricky to sex. We ended up with 10 males the first try and 3 the second. All were supposed to be hens. It's why I like autosexing breeds. We wanted an autosexing rooster. So we got him on purpose. The Australorp rooster we kept so far has been great - but I've got my eye on him. Lol

Wow! The baby’s aren’t baby’s anymore! It’s amazing how fast they are growing! We really love the new brooder set up!! The girls love it too and it’s very easy to clean and we don’t have to worry about the fire hazard!! We are going on 4 and 5 weeks right now!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom