Considering getting a silkie chicken, possible new chicken owner. Help?

Flightlessness

Hatching
Nov 14, 2015
Hello everyone! I made this account solely for the purpose of asking professional chicken owners about silkie chickens.

While I do have experience with many exotics and birds such as cockatiels, sun conures, etc. This is the first chicken I would ever own if I get one. Silkie chickens were an animal I found on the internet after searching for friendly pet birds that are great with children and strangers. I love their appearence, they are supposedely very friendly and make great pets, but I would also be a new chicken owner so I have a few questions:

1: Is it true Silkies are great pets? Would they be an ideal friendly bird pet?

2: How big and how messy is a silkie chicken? Is it comparable to a dog? Can they be house trained?

3: I live in a typical house with an average backyard, not farm big but as far as normal backyards go its pretty good sized, is this enough?

4: What is the smell/cleaning like if I were to keep this bird indoors? My apartment I'm working towards I believe actually let's people have a chicken, but what would that be like?

welcome-byc.gif

I've never had a silkie so will let other's that have had them answer some of your questions. As far as what keeping them inside might mean, there's a thread on BYC for people that keep house chickens, here's a link so you can check it out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

Thanks for joining us!

Thank you for such a fast response! Maybe some people will pop up xD

I'm sure you'll hear from more greeters, we like new members to feel comfortable here.

Silkies are very popular and a lot of members seem to have them. If you want to try some looking around on your own, just type silkies in the search box (upper left corner) and you'll get back a lot of threads to read.

Good luck, it's nice to have you here!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Silkies are generally docile, but depending on where they came from and how/if they were socialized can make a difference. My friend has had house pet chickens for over 25 years - various breeds but most often silkies. She currently has 2 serama hens and a silkie hen. Because she got them as older pullets they weren't used to strangers and hide behind the sofa when anyone comes over. If you want to see them you have to look over the back of the sofa. You'll see them pacing back and forth waiting till it's safe to come out.

My friend is kind of a recluse herself - so maybe they pick up her vibes. I think if you get a silkie that's young it is more adaptable, and if handled gently it can be like feathered small dog. My friend doesn't diaper them - she'd be spending all day opening and closing diapers and changing their tissue etc. She just follows them around and mops up as soon as they mess.

When she goes on errands the birds snuggle on a rug by the door waiting for her to come back. When she does they mob her like dogs would. They also fight over being on the chair with her when she watches TV.

The problem with getting very young silkies is they are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they lay or crow. I'm quessing you would not be able to keep a rooster.

There are several silkie threads on BYC, mainly divided by color. The biggest thread is "Silkie thread." and my favorite. You may want to post there and see what they say about silkies being housepets.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've raised Silkies are they are a wonderful breed. The following are my answers to your questions:

1: Is it true Silkies are great pets? Would they be an ideal friendly bird pet? Silkies are great pets; sweet, adorable, gentle, friendly and funny little birds. They are easily trained into lap pets.

2: How big and how messy is a silkie chicken? Is it comparable to a dog? Can they be house trained? Silkies are small as chickens go since they are bantams, with males typically weighing about 36 oz. and females weighing about 32 oz. The total quantity of their waste products (poop and urine) would be less than that of dogs, however, I've never tried to house train any so I don't know if that is possible or not. I do know that you can purchase chicken diapers.

3: I live in a typical house with an average backyard, not farm big but as far as normal backyards go its pretty good sized, is this enough? Silkies do not require a lot of space so an average backyard is more than enough room for them. However, if you free range them as opposed to keeping them in an enclosed run, you need to make sure that there are no predators in your area that might come into the yard and kill them.

4: What is the smell/cleaning like if I were to keep this bird indoors? My apartment I'm working towards I believe actually let's people have a chicken, but what would that be like? I wish I could answer this question for you, but I have never kept any chicken breeds (including Silkies) indoors. You might ask drumstick diva these questions. She will probably be along in a bit, but she knows more about house chickens than I do.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Silkies are generally docile, but depending on where they came from and how/if they were socialized can make a difference. My friend has had house pet chickens for over 25 years - various breeds but most often silkies. She currently has 2 serama hens and a silkie hen. Because she got them as older pullets they weren't used to strangers and hide behind the sofa when anyone comes over. If you want to see them you have to look over the back of the sofa. You'll see them pacing back and forth waiting till it's safe to come out.

My friend is kind of a recluse herself - so maybe they pick up her vibes. I think if you get a silkie that's young it is more adaptable, and if handled gently it can be like feathered small dog. My friend doesn't diaper them - she'd be spending all day opening and closing diapers and changing their tissue etc. She just follows them around and mops up as soon as they mess.

When she goes on errands the birds snuggle on a rug by the door waiting for her to come back. When she does they mob her like dogs would. They also fight over being on the chair with her when she watches TV.

The problem with getting very young silkies is they are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they lay or crow. I'm quessing you would not be able to keep a rooster.

There are several silkie threads on BYC, mainly divided by color. The biggest thread is "Silkie thread." and my favorite. You may want to post there and see what they say about silkies being housepets.

LOL! Speaking of; I just suggested that our OP ask you these very questions. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom