Constant Cricket Chirping

eveliens

Songster
Jun 24, 2020
My coturnix quail have hit the point where they are crowing/laying at about 8-9 weeks. I removed the 3 definite roosters to horny jail (the jerk) and a bachelor's pad (the other 2). I know 6 of the 10 left in the main cage are hens. 4 have not crowed or laid. They are all non-feather sexable, and I don't plan to vent sex unless I need to due to the heat. Several of the birds in the main pen, two of which I am pretty sure are hens, have started cricket chirping and fence running. It is pretty loud - I can hear it across the yard on the porch. They don't seem to be in distress, there's plenty of food/water/shade and the other birds aren't doing it just a few specific birds. One is very constant about it in particular. Is this a potential egg blockage/young layer issue or are they just horny for the boys?

Edit: the noise and pacing specifically started after I removed the roos but so did the egg laying

If it's soft cricket sounds, I associate that with contentment. If it's loud, something is bothering them. If they're running along the fence, I would check for signs of predators. Do they have places to hide? Adding more places to hide may help them feel more secure.

If it's soft cricket sounds, I associate that with contentment. If it's loud, something is bothering them. If they're running along the fence, I would check for signs of predators. Do they have places to hide? Adding more places to hide may help them feel more secure.
The separated roos are not do it, and none of my other birds are upset. I have checked the entire pen - nothing has changed other than removing the 3 roos. There is a good sized hollow hide in the pen and a little coop house. The pen is 80% covered over the roof, so nothing is bothering them from above I don't think. I have heard the soft chirps too, and that's definitely not what this is unfortunately. It's actually more like a frog call than a cricket. Maybe I can get a video.

Last edited:
Well, the constant caller laid an egg and stopped calling, so I think that was it. The other one, after the first one stopped, also stopped calling and pacing then went to sleep. Seems like egg problems and a nervous nelly 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom