Constant Poop Butt

jgaepi

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
davis, ca
One of my baby chicks has gotten clumped poop on its butt three times in 24 hours. I keep cleaning it with a warm, damp cloth and then it gets clumped up again. The last time a little butt fur came off. Otherwise the bird is very active and seems happy. It is hard to track this one particular bird but they all collectively are very interested in water and food. I started using a little grit in their food last night.

Take a pair of tiny sharp scissors like embroidery scissors or fingernail scissors and very carefully trim away all the fuzz on its little tush. Really get it down as close to the skin as you can. I have to trim up my silkie chicks every time. I trim an area just a little bigger than a nickle so that there is no chance of poop catching on anything. You can then "baste" their heinie with some oil. Some people use vaseline, but I think it is too sticky.
Good luck!

I've had them for only 24 hours. Their brooder is 3ft by 18in. 14in high. Lots of pine shavings. The heat lamp is about 22inches off the floor of the brooder. They love the height, they come and go. Lots of moving around. I give them regular tap water.

CityGirl is absolutely right. Give the chickie a spa day! Give it a military butt buzz, and then put some olive oil on that hiney.

Keep in mind that sometimes you have a chick that's pretty determined to paste, and nothing you do will prevent it. Just be vigilant, and it will stop like magic after the first week. I once had a chick that needed to have it's butt soaked twice a day, every day, for it's first week. Poor thing.

You can put a dish of sand in the brooder to help prevent pasty butt. Make sure the brooder is not getting too hot. It should clear up the problem pretty quickly.
smile.png

Just keep cleaning the chick as needed until it is over it.

I don't use a thermometer but I have the light at the recommended 24in height, and that they are active, moving into the light to nap then out, back and forth, back and forth. They seem pretty happy.

Sounds like it might be just a tad too warm. Try lifting your heat lamp higher, clean his bottom really well, and then lather his bottom in medicated A&D or vaseline. It keeps the poop from sticking and drying! Good luck!
smile.png

I have the same problem with my chicks I cleaned there little butts and trimmed them. 2 out of the 4 have this problem. we will see what happens. I also added a little sand to there food and will place a plate of sand in the brooder. I wonder if I can leave the sand in there with out talking it out.

Back
Top Bottom