Construction sand question - it looks like sugar!

alycoop

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Vancouver WA
OK, so I've read lots of threads here about using construction sand in coops and runs. Whoopee I thought, I'm gonna get me some. So off I trot to a big box store. Stopped off first at local feed store and picked up a bag of pine shavings and bale of straw. Then off to Home Depot where my husband has bought sand for landscape projects.

I pass by the playground sand, I know we don't want that, take a look at a sand topping 'mix' but that turns into a kind of concrete when wet.

Finally find a 100# bag of "medium-grade construction sand" for just under $8. that's the ticket so I haul the heavy bag home, get it from van into a wheelbarrow and rip it open.

It's white and looks very pristine. It looks almost like sugar. Too late to take it back now but can this be the right stuff? Bag label says it's washed and kiln dried so I assume that is why it's white. The brand is QuickRete which makes all kinds of landscaping sand and paving products.

I thought I'd be getting something gray and perhaps a little more coarse, not something so....refined looking. Is this alright to use in the coop and run? Anyone know?

Thanks.

I looked at the bag again. It actually says Commercial grade sand on the bag which I interpreted as being construction sand.

After looking online more I believe I got the fine sand used mostly for paving work but people who keep acquariums use it too. It is quite fine even though the bag states medium.
I was mostly worried that it might have higher silica and be bad for the chickens if they ingest it.

Quote:
As I understand it, sand is silica, and inert. Not a problem for chickens or us. Problem is when it is ground so fine that we inhale the dust.

Last edited by a moderator:
you mean you all use sand in your coop and not straw or wood shavings??? Is this better? How often do you have to change all of the sand?

I have playground sand in my runs and my polish love it!

26140_polish-sand.jpg

Back
Top Bottom