Constructive criticism please

michaelf1478

Songster
7 Years
Nov 26, 2013
I've decided to try and raise chickens. Since I have alot of junk in my back yard, I've decided to try and use it to make a coop and a laying box. I'm gonna use a old 10x10 dog kennel to keep them locked up at night and for the box I found a old stackable shelf some scrap tin and scrap wood. I've been messing with it this morning and I want to get some options. I haven't figured how I'm going to do the floors yet.

for the nesting box just put a divider in it for each individual spot for them to lay... you said you're using a dog kennel for night time... is it that chain link one in the background? The one thing I would advise is that if you put them in there at night and it has an open top your chickens will fall as prey to predators. Even if you have a top on it with that chain link a raccoon could easily reach in, if only on solid ground a fox or coyote could dig under or a rat, weasel or mink could go through the links... It's often good to have a construction for them to roost in with 4 walls a roof and flooring to keep them out of the elements.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about putting a decided in the middle of each section to be able to get to nest per shelf, wasn't sure if it's be big enough for two though. The kennel you see in the back ground is what I'm planning on using was gonna get a tarp to help with predators. Also I already have the inside lined with electric fence that will knock your teeth loose (It hit me the other day. I was going to take it out of the inside and put it on the outside of the kennel for extra protection. You think that may help out any??? May also run a strand of line at the top just in case a raccoon tries to crawl over. What's you thoughts on that?
I like that you are using what you have available instead of spending scads of money. Reuse, repurpose, recycle. Your shelf unit will make nice nest boxes. You will want to close in the sides/back of the boxes to hold the bedding in. They should have a 4 inch lip across the front, as well as a perch of sorts so the birds can step from the perch into the nest box. That will prevent a lot of eggs. Each box should be a minimum of 12 x 12 x 12", but bigger is ok also. Some people even build community nests where a bunch of chickens can all climb in and have a hen party. Keep in mind that chickens seek out a fairly dark and secure looking place to lay their eggs. That will help you to close in the front of the boxes appropriately.

It would be helpful if you gave more details: Where do you live (general location for help with climate related advice). How much snow do you get in the winter? What is your average summer and winter climate/temp like? Do you have a dog who would patrol your yard for predators?

As PP stated, predators will be your biggest issue. A tarp will not stop any predator with teeth. A weasel will climb through any hole you could push a quarter through, and will kill an entire flock of birds in a single night just for the fun of it. Other predators are great diggers, so... a buried skirt around your kennel would be necessary.

You can find lots of free building materials simply by being a creative shopper: Call some carpenters. You may be able to get their building scraps, or remodeling debris that still has lots of life left in it. I can get lots of free windows every spring by visiting my town dump on a weekend. Other building materials are hit or miss there. My coop has lovely thermopane windows, and a full thermopane glass door, (metal, complete with dead bolt.) thanks to my town dump. Roofers often have 4' wide x varying lengths of ply wood left over from their roofing jobs. Habitat for humanity store often has lots of stuff that will help you to complete your build with minimal expense. Perhaps you can find a used dog house or small shed to provide predator proof coop, while using the kennel for a run.

I think that's what I'm gonna do. Going to get out today and see what I can dig up. I know I have about 5 or six pallets, that may be enough to get me started

It's been painted some more since that pic

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about putting a decided in the middle of each section to be able to get to nest per shelf, wasn't sure if it's be big enough for two though. The kennel you see in the back ground is what I'm planning on using was gonna get a tarp to help with predators. Also I already have the inside lined with electric fence that will knock your teeth loose (It hit me the other day. I was going to take it out of the inside and put it on the outside of the kennel for extra protection. You think that may help out any??? May also run a strand of line at the top just in case a raccoon tries to crawl over. What's you thoughts on that?

Back
Top Bottom