i have:

3 cats
1 dog
23 dom copper hens
1 plymouth barred rock rooster
60 white bresse
15 blue bresse
15 black bresse
however, all of the dominant coppers are in their own 12x24 chicken house. half is supply storage and half coop connected to the run. i built a brooder “house” in a big room in an old hay barn along with another coop that’s much bigger than the other. in 7 weeks, we are going to caponize our first set of cockerels with my great grandparent’s instruments. i bought a book and watched a bunch of videos. i will post results. i am no stranger to surgery so i would be shocked if i didn’t succeed on the first try..knock on wood. plus, i have a grandpa with farmer experience for advice. ;)

however, all of the dominant coppers are in their own 12x24 chicken house. half is supply storage and half coop connected to the run. i built a brooder “house” in a big room in an old hay barn along with another coop that’s much bigger than the other. in 7 weeks, we are going to caponize our first set of cockerels with my great grandparent’s instruments. i bought a book and watched a bunch of videos. i will post results. i am no stranger to surgery so i would be shocked if i didn’t succeed on the first try..knock on wood. plus, i have a grandpa with farmer experience for advice. ;)
caponizing is a dead art...due to genetic breeding of chickens that you harvest in 6-10 weeks...thus no longer necessary. however, if you raise a breed for dual purpose that can actually survive past 12 weeks...it sounds like the meat tastes better.

no judgement...i just want to raise a dual purpose bird not meant to explode in 8 weeks...and want try an old school technique...just for the sake of trying it.

i have interest in trying things that are no longer being tried...like making prosciutto...anything that has not been passed on from one generation to the next.

caponizing is a dead art...due to genetic breeding of chickens that you harvest in 6-10 weeks...thus no longer necessary. however, if you raise a breed for dual purpose that can actually survive past 12 weeks...it sounds like the meat tastes better.

no judgement...i just want to raise a dual purpose bird not meant to explode in 8 weeks...and want try an old school technique...just for the sake of trying it.

i have interest in trying things that are no longer being tried...like making prosciutto...anything that has not been passed on from one generation to the next.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 5

It is always fun to try new (or old) things!

I have 12 barred rock hens, 1 barred rock rooster, 15 black austrolorp hens, 1 guinea, 1 barred rock black austrlorp rooster, 2 lavender orpington roosters, 4 lavender orpington hens, 2 bunnies, 2 inside cats, 4 outside cats, 4 dogs, 2 bucklings, 2 wethers, 5 does (4 are prego and we expecting at least 9 babies), 2 parrakeets, 3 aconas, 1 mallard, and a bunch of fish

I have a total of 39, not including the live mealworms. :p
19 chickens
7 koi
3 ducks
3 quail
2 dogs
2 cats
1 goldfish
1 turtle
1 rabbit
I got two more koi today, making the total 41. I also have more mosquito fish than I know what to do with, but it would take way too long to count them all. :p

Back
Top Bottom