Controlling odors

8hams

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2023
Help me with a co-op plan! I’ve been reading all about wire and shavings and sand and deep litter, etc. and can’t decide what will be easiest in terms of upkeep and controlling odors. The coop will be in our backyard, and if it’s anything like the smells from the current plastic tote setup, I don’t know if we can stand it. Ground level isn’t an option so I’m looking at 2-3 elevated levels. Do I use a pan by itself with wire floors? Pan with shavings? Solid floor with shavings? Separate sand area and scoop daily? Deep litter box under wire? Someone just tell me what to do, please!

I use a pan under wire for part and the other part solid floor with sand. Total space approximately 14 sq ft. With about 10 birds, dumping the pan and changing the sand once a week is fine For keeping the smell under control. Now what you do with the collected waste from that is another story.

Help me with a co-op plan! I’ve been reading all about wire and shavings and sand and deep litter, etc. and can’t decide what will be easiest in terms of upkeep and controlling odors. The coop will be in our backyard, and if it’s anything like the smells from the current plastic tote setup, I don’t know if we can stand it. Ground level isn’t an option so I’m looking at 2-3 elevated levels. Do I use a pan by itself with wire floors? Pan with shavings? Solid floor with shavings? Separate sand area and scoop daily? Deep litter box under wire? Someone just tell me what to do, please!
I have Jumbo Brown Coturnix on 1/2” x 1” pvc coated wire with stainless steel pans and use only Sweet PDZ which is 100% Clinoptilolite (high quality Zeolite). It neutralizes the ammonia and significantly reduces the smell. Clinoptilolite is an amazing product. Do some research. I also only feed my quail organic, non-gmo feed: New Country Organics and Nature’s Best Organic Egg Layer Crumble. This feed also reduces odors. Before finding New Country Organic, I tried Modesto’s (sold on Chewy’s) and it smelled worse.

So, the Clinoptilolite with organic non-gmo quail poop and urine (also only bottled reverse osmosis water), makes an excellent slow-release fertilizer. The Clinoptilolite also increases soil aeration, water retention, improves good soil microbes, and absorbs heavy metals.

Back
Top Bottom