Converting a shed to a coop

meag6

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2015
Western New York
OK so this is our first year with chickens. We had a little coop that we bought from tractor supply. We have 6 speckled sussex hens. But let's just say I want more. So I was thinking of getting a shed and converting it. I read on here that it will need extra ventilation added. But now my thought is how do I arrange nest boxes and perches. I thought of using a storage shelf or a closet organization unit. The kind that has bars and shelves. But I'm not sure how that would work. And how many chickens can I keep in a 4x6 shed with a 12x14 foot run area?

Your coop is good for about 6 standard size chickens. You might get away squeezing in a couple more, Overcrowding is on the horizon. Suggested area is 4 square feet per chicken. Your run can handle about 17 chickens at the suggested 10 square feet per bird. Ventilation is VERY IMPORTANT. Read up some threads here to educate self on best ways to accomplish task. You only need about 3 or 4 nesting boxes to handle 6 to 10 chickens. They take turns. Perches are made ideally from a 2 x 4 wood installed flat. Placement should be so the chickens are not crowded against the back wall. Also not in direct flow of draft air, wind, from vents. Multiple perches are better than a single one. Keep chickens from being aggravated by their fellow chickens. Lower pecking order chickens will usually be on lower rungs.
Take into consideration of getting a larger coop. CHICKEN MATH CAN PLAY TRICKS ON YOU.
gig.gif

Your coop is good for about 6 standard size chickens. You might get away squeezing in a couple more, Overcrowding is on the horizon. Suggested area is 4 square feet per chicken. Your run can handle about 17 chickens at the suggested 10 square feet per bird. Ventilation is VERY IMPORTANT. Read up some threads here to educate self on best ways to accomplish task. You only need about 3 or 4 nesting boxes to handle 6 to 10 chickens. They take turns. Perches are made ideally from a 2 x 4 wood installed flat. Placement should be so the chickens are not crowded against the back wall. Also not in direct flow of draft air, wind, from vents. Multiple perches are better than a single one. Keep chickens from being aggravated by their fellow chickens. Lower pecking order chickens will usually be on lower rungs.
Take into consideration of getting a larger coop. CHICKEN MATH CAN PLAY TRICKS ON YOU.
gig.gif

X2 especially about the math.
I had a 4x6 coop and 6 chickens in it was tight.
Go bigger is better and great advice.

If you can an 8x8 is minimum requirement around my house.
I had a converted shed and it worked well until chicken math got me.

This is what I had before.
The 4x6 coop.

You can see that there are 2 pullets in there. They were not full grown yet and so it looks bigger than it felt later on.

This is the only one I can find of the 8x8 shed. It looks like I may have deleted the ones of the inside.
I had 3 roosts one on each wall except the wall with the door. I had 2 large nest boxes that the top was a droppings board under one of the roosts. I had a huge window in the back wall, the one on the left and could leave the solid door open in the summer.

:goodpost: I second all the above.

Are you thinking of adding more Sussex, or getting a different breed? Sussex are pretty big birds. If you're adding bantams, or if you have an automatic door or get up at dawn every morning to let the hens out, you might be able to squeeze 8 birds into that coop, but I personally would cap it at 6 or 7.

If you have that big a run area and want more birds, consider buying a bigger shed! If you could find a 6x8 shed, you could keep a dozen birds, thereby allowing you to double your flock! 8x8 would be even better.

1 nesting box per 3-4 hens is perfect, and allow 1 foot of roost space per chicken. Don't put the nest boxes right underneath the perches (unless you install a droppings board) because the birds will poop on the boxes. And I'd put the roosts 12+ inches away from the wall, or your chickens might poop on the wall.

Install the nest boxes 18-30 inches off the ground, and make sure the roosts are at least 6 inches higher than the nest boxes or else they might sleep (read: poop) in the nesting boxes. Your roosts can be anywhere from 2-4 feet off the ground or more, though for bigger birds like the Sussex I wouldn't go much higher than 3 feet. My personal recommendation would be to put the nest boxes 18 inches off the ground and the roosts 2.5 - 3 feet off the ground.

You can build nest boxes yourself or repurpose a milk crate, 5 gallon bucket, or small plastic storage container.

Here's a great article on ventilation: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop

Hope that helps!

I totally agree with Emma Miriam about all but 2 things.

My sussex are huge girls. I would put the roosts about 18 inches from the wall for them. I would not put the roost at 3 foot unless they have a really large space in front since when they jump down (and even if you have a ladder up there they will still jump down) they need a landing zone that can handle that size of bird without crashing into a wall.

Great points, thanks for catching that. I have a Speckled Sussex but she isn't full grown yet, so thank you for weighing in. I don't have as much experience with that breed as with others.

So amending those recommendations: roost 18 inches from wall, and closer to 2 feet or maybe 2.5 feet above ground?

Great points, thanks for catching that. I have a Speckled Sussex but she isn't full grown yet, so thank you for weighing in. I don't have as much experience with that breed as with others.

So amending those recommendations: roost 18 inches from wall, and closer to 2 feet or maybe 2.5 feet above ground?

That will do nicely for these big bottomed girls.

Here is Poptart one of my gals lol.

You can see how large she is next to the EE and the BA in the background. Yes they get more spots every year when they molt. Yes she is elderly now.

Chicken Math....must be multiplication....or addition....I sure got a case of it this year....those broody hens will do it every time...Oh well....it's forcing another coop remodeling project...moving the nest boxes from inside the coop...to on the coop wall inside of the garage....to make room for more roosts..I can't blame the birds!!! I did it to myself...

LOL I did mine using exponents.
hide.gif

Chicken Math....must be multiplication....or addition....I sure got a case of it this year....those broody hens will do it every time...Oh well....it's forcing another coop remodeling project...moving the nest boxes from inside the coop...to on the coop wall inside of the garage....to make room for more roosts..I can't blame the birds!!! I did it to myself...

Back
Top Bottom