Converting a Wood Shed to a Coop

tucker0104

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 6, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I have a 8x12 wood shed with one large door and one window at the opposite end of the shed. How would I go about converting this to a chicken coop? I was thinking about maybe cutting off the side walls and leaving it open with both sides leading to a 12x15 walking area for the chickens. I am planning on purchasing 10 hens and 1 rooster but would like to design something big enough to allow room for expansion. I haven't really read too much into owning chickens yet but just wanting to get people's opinions that new about raising chickens to see if the shed would work. Thanks in advance.

Someone else just asked about a similar project.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/625514/need-help-turning-my-garden-shed-into-a-coop

You seem to have enough room for the 11 planned chickens. Do you have a picture of your shed?

I don''t think you should take out the wall on your coop, especially if you are in a cold area. You just need some good ventilation, like a window at each end that can be closed when its cold. You can have smaller ventilation openings near the roof. You can put in a chicken door to allow the chickens access to the run.

Back
Top Bottom