Converting building to aviary

ThiefPouter06

Songster
11 Years
Sep 3, 2008
green co. KY
I have a steel insulated building I would like to convert into an aviary. It is 10' X 16' divided into three 5' x 10' sections. I was thinking about building an 8' X 16' flight pen off of the back. They would have access into one of the sections in the winter I would shut them up into the section. Would I hang a few heat lamps and put a closed window on the opening? The section has a 3' x 4' window. The walls (in and out) are steel panels with over an inch of insulation sandwiched inside. So no drafts. Any suggestions? Was thinking about weaver birds, african waxbills and or lovebirds.

Sounds like a great idea! I keep my quail in an outdoor aviary and have considered putting my parrots out there for the summer after the quail are gone. I think you have a good idea there and I hope it works out for you!

I hope so, I live in kentucky so winter could be a problem.

Weavers and waxbills will require heat in the winter. I was looking into waxbills for my future outdoor aviaries in south Florida (years away....), and from everything I kept reading, they need to be kept at 50F or higher.

Lovebirds are a bit hardier, but will still need to be shut up in the winter. Oh, and DEFINITELY don't house them with any finches -- they're cute, but murderous around other species that are smaller. You may even run into problems if you house peach-faced with eye-ring species, so choose one or the other for an aviary.

:)

If you do keep drafts out and away from anything that will get them wet you can put anything in there. I have several outdoor aviaries and here is a list of what I have kept or do keep outside here in the NW, I would put a single heat lamp in each aviary as a safety measure.

Several would start to breed and raise chicks when the days started to get longer but the temps would still get below freezing. A friend of mine had baby Cordon Blues (blue caps) fledge and he was still breaking the ice off the water bowls.

Orange Weavers
Zebras
Gouldians
Stars
Shaftails
Canaries
Cockatiels
Lovebirds
Diamond Doves
Budgies
Javas
Cuthroats
Societies
Orange Cheeks
Cordon Blues

and many others....

Last edited:
Awesome info guys. Thanks. I did read that lovebirds are good for single species avairy only. I am thinking an australian theme would be cool, Zebras, diamond doves... However cant do many weaver species, java finches illegal in KY. Sounds like I have lots of fun research to do!

Javas are indeed illegal in several states, didn't know that KY was one of them. Lovebirds can be noisy as well so that is one of the reasons I no longer have any. When you decide on what you want I know several people in your area that should be able to help you get what you want.

Some of what you have listed are banned in certain states, what state are you in? I might be able to direct you to someone.

Back
Top Bottom