converting part of garage to coop?

chickachickawhat

Songster
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
hartford county ct
has anyone ever converted part of there garage as a coop. i have one coop at the end of my property really far back where i cant get electricity out there. my garage in my backyard is a bit closer maybe 25-30 yards and i thing i maybe be able to run some lines over for electricity. if anyone has any pictures may you please post them.

I'd love to see too!
This is something that occured to me after I built a fancy coop way on the other end of the yard....

I have a coop in my attached garage.
It's not an ideal situation. I like having the girls so close to the house (I can check on them and it's really easy to feed, water and give them little treats all day) - BUT they make a lot of dust and the wood chips from their bedding get tracked everywhere.
I have a pair of shoes that only go into and out of the coop, but the woodchips still get everywhere!

There's a bunch of people on here who've done it, I'm sure some will see this thread and also you could search on 'garage coop'.

The main 2 things to remember are a) you may need to cut an extra window to ensure the coop gets sufficient daylight, and b) chickens produce an amazing amount of a very fine greasy dust that you really don't want getting all over mechanical things or any other valuables, so you may want to make the interior wall mostly solid (but put a few vents so you can get air exchange w/the garage, as you may well wish to do this for at least part of the year)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I have I will go take pics now
smile.png
It was pretty easy just framed out the corner and cut around pre existing shelves that I had for roosts. I already had a big shelf there that I kept my fake cristmas tree on so I use it as their second floor. I used plastic chichen netting for windows. I still need to put a trap door for egg collection but in the meantime I just go in the door and collect. I use a long milk crate they dont seem to mind. I made a ladder and thats about it. Gonna take pics now....

this is my temperary coop until the new outdoor one is built. Then I will use it for breeding, or as a hospital, or brooder. BTW my garage it attatched so if you are gonna keep a rooster I hope you like the sound of crowing
lol.png

100_1554.jpg

100_1555.jpg

100_1556.jpg

100_1557.jpg

100_1559.jpg

I really like your garage coop. That is going to be so handy for a hospital/brooder and also on days like today when it is freezing. Do you have a window in there? I like the chickens who chose the pipes to roost on.

Last edited:
thats actually how im thinking about building mine just i want to build my coop along the whole back wall of my garage and like 5 feet out from the back wall. im going to post pictures tomarrow

Back
Top Bottom