cooked a freshly culled bird...too tough, whats wrong and what to do?

da-cajun-angla

Songster
12 Years
Jan 22, 2008
laplace,la
do i have to refrigerate them for a few days or a week to let rigor set out? even after i boiled it for gumbo, it wa still tough as all ****. the birds were only about a yr old. any suggestions?
thanks,
shaun

*edited word*

Last edited by a moderator:
i put them in the cooler as fast as i had the 2nd bird done...bout 10 min or so. whats weird is when i talk to all my neighbors here in new orleans, they all told me that their parents would send them out to kill a chicken, and they would kill, clean, gut, and take the chicken to their mom that would cook it for the meal that night. thats what got me wonderin' why i have to let them sit. on the other hand, we kill wild hog and deer and put them in the walk in cooler or ice chest for atleast two weeks to let rigor set out. i dont see why chicken should be any different. now, 1 of the hens i culled, was a 3-4yr old hen...so i can see that. but the other is a lot younger. also the hens i culled originally were 9-11 months old, and were so tough, i stewed them 4 gumbo, and they were still too tough. didnt any1 who grew up in the era of killing and then cooking chickens cook them the same night? let me know.
thanks 4 every1 who answers,
shaun

Quote:
Rigor is gone in any animal after about 12 hours- after that it's just about breaking down tissue. I think part of it is that we're used to the mushy, store bought chicken. Any home grown bird is going to be firmer than grocery store bird.

didnt any1 who grew up in the era of killing and then cooking chickens cook them the same night? let me know.

My parents always cook straight after killing. My mom believes it has more favor, but I think it's just what they're used to. I agree that the meat is tougher, but you get used to it. I end up eating less meat, so I guess it's a good thing
lol.png

9-11 month old chickens are going to be tough. Most people are saying to kill them at 18-20 weeks. They will still be firmer than any store bought though unless you are raising a broiler.

We butchered all of our roosters and I can't stand to cook with them unless they are crock potted on low all day. It's the only way they are soft enough for us to eat.

Back
Top Bottom