coop and brooder ideas (pics)

Claire_Bear

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 3, 2007
Garrison
This might just be the brooder for my chickies....
Brooder004.jpg

This a 5 ft x 5ft coop design i drew up....
Chickencoopdesign002.jpg

what do ya think? any suggestions? modifications?

Last edited:
Um If you are going to use a bucket to brood your chicks just make sure your coop is ready to go. They grow up FAST!

Claire-bear

Look around- see what types of bins/storage boxes/crates/etc. that you might have on hand. Do you have one of those small plastic swimming pools? A dog kennel?

How many chicks are going to be in this brooder?

It would really help to have some idea of how many chicks you're talking about. I had a 4'x5' brooder that our 22 chicks outgrew in about 2 weeks. They're now out in the 8'x8' coop and quickly outgrowing it at just 4 weeks old. I've got to let them out into the run this week! Remember, for your coop there needs to be about 3-4 sq ft per grown standard bird + an outside run. But, for your brooder, if you're talking a smaller number of chicks a large cardboard box does very well.

Do you have a Free Cycle in your area?

I use http://www.phillyfreecycle.org/

The
reason I asked is because I got a 30 gal aquarium for free by posting for one and asking if anyone had one up for grabs.

I washed it, bleached it and rinsed SUPER well ...and all good to go for my chickies.

And better yet the whole thing was free.
smile.png

would you use the aquarium with the hood light or a brooder light. Just curious. Wouldn't that glass be cold? I was just curious. I think I could get one of those from my mom who no longer keeps fish in hers. But is it something that makes a great brooder or just something you could get and would work. I mean if it is better to use like a plastic tub, I can get one but if the fish tank is better for some reason, it would be worth driving to mom's and picking it up. (30 miles) Just curious.

Marie

I am using a brooder light with a red 100 watt bulb in the right hand corner and the temp stays perfect. They don't huddle under the lamp OR seem too hot.
I am keeping it in my bedroom though, so that may be a consideration?

Maybe it's a matter of choice?

Thanks, just wondering if there was some benefit to using one.

I appreciate it. Hope all works out with your chicks. I have eggs in the bator and I am anxiously waiting.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom