Coop and Chick Heaters

mamasnowwolf

Chirping
Feb 23, 2021
Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is the right place for heater talks but I can't find a better place. We have a cozy coop flat panel heater in our coop now. This helps prevent frostbite on the combs of the birds that choose to roost up high. The issue is the mice have all but eaten the entire cord. I have it wrapped in electrical tape, but obviously over the summer, I wasn't paying attention. Now we need it and I don't want to start a fire. We have looked for a flat panel heater, but none seem to have the cord wrapped in metal like our 2nd cozy coop heater we have. I don't want another issue. Can you recommend a good heater that is mouth resistant and won't start fires. Obviously, no heat lamps.
We also have a larger coop (8x16). We were going to grow our flock this summer, but the old coop leaked and we lost all the eggs the hens were sitting on. So we have blocked off part of the coop so it's easier to heat. We don't worry much until the temps get below 0. We are using a flat panel heater in there as well, but if there's something better for a larger space, that would be great. I know the panels only work if you stand in front of them, they aren't used to actually heat a space and that's fine. With ventilation, it's not like the coop will stay warm. Just want it a bit easier for the birds to warm up when it's extra cold outside. We have Rhode Island Red hens so they are supposed to be use to the cold.

You can replace the cord with MC cable from HD, Lowes or your local hardware store. You might not be able to open the cozy to go all the way inside but you can splice it at the entrance, just leave enough wire to make the connection and wrap it well.
You want MC (metal clad) two conductor with ground. You may be able to use the same plug or you can also get a plug specifically for MC cable.

https://shopwirenco.com/products/cto_6-3mc?currency=USD&variant=40993322533043&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=c7950c721ecd&srsltid=AfmBOooFU3krh3tbWqMKeQUsLr_ctaQyNFNpVvlgbVs-Q5vh21HTLzCosU8

Depending on the age of the chicks, you may want to pull it down from the wall and put it flat on the floor so they can get warmth.

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is the right place for heater talks but I can't find a better place. We have a cozy coop flat panel heater in our coop now. This helps prevent frostbite on the combs of the birds that choose to roost up high. The issue is the mice have all but eaten the entire cord. I have it wrapped in electrical tape, but obviously over the summer, I wasn't paying attention. Now we need it and I don't want to start a fire. We have looked for a flat panel heater, but none seem to have the cord wrapped in metal like our 2nd cozy coop heater we have. I don't want another issue. Can you recommend a good heater that is mouth resistant and won't start fires. Obviously, no heat lamps.
We also have a larger coop (8x16). We were going to grow our flock this summer, but the old coop leaked and we lost all the eggs the hens were sitting on. So we have blocked off part of the coop so it's easier to heat. We don't worry much until the temps get below 0. We are using a flat panel heater in there as well, but if there's something better for a larger space, that would be great. I know the panels only work if you stand in front of them, they aren't used to actually heat a space and that's fine. With ventilation, it's not like the coop will stay warm. Just want it a bit easier for the birds to warm up when it's extra cold outside. We have Rhode Island Red hens so they are supposed to be use to the cold.
Hi mamasnowwolf. How does the ideal heater looks to you? I would like to invite you to my thread (My story of finding and building the best heater) , where the ideal heater can be discussed, and participant's feedback taken to the Canadian manufacturer to build the ideal heater for our community.

Back
Top Bottom