Supplemental Heat in Coop

chickentowns

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2023
Nashville, Tennessee
Hello! First time chicken owner heading into the winder months. Is supplemental heat needed or recommended in single digit nighttime temps? We’re located in Tennessee and are having a stint of unusually cold weather (0 degrees to -1 predicted as the night time low, teens during the day).

My flock of 16 chickens is around 9 months old. Typically they free range, but I’ve had them secured in the wind-protected run.

Our coop was converted from a shed. It’s a sturdy building — 10x10 with roof ventilation. Hens seem fine so far, but it’s supposed to remain this cold for a few days. Is supplemental heat needed or recommended at night? If so, radiant heaters?

We do water heaters, so we’re covered on that front.

Last edited:
Adults would be fine as it sounds like you've got the ventillation and no draft covered.

Radiant heaters like the Cozy Coop are handy that they can lean up to them if they get a chill. We've got one in our temp coop now with some 3-month-olds. It's in the negative numbers here too. Weird for you in Tennessee though isn't it?

I've read where what did they do before we had electric? Myself we live in NC, and yes I do add heat when it gets in the 30's, and yes when it's 30 something windy and raining those knuckle heads stay out in it. I believe do what makes you feel better in the care of your chickens! After all they are in your care.

Your chickens should be okay at those temps without supplemental heat. The keys are to keep them dry and out of winds. Their feathers are good insulation.

Insufficient ventilation in their coop can be a problem at night due to freezing water vapor from breathing and poo, but it sounds like you have that covered.

Hello! First time chicken owner heading into the winder months. Is supplemental heat needed or recommended in single digit nighttime temps? We’re located in Tennessee and are having a stint of unusually cold weather (0 degrees to -1 predicted as the night time low, teens during the day).

My flock of 16 chickens is around 9 months old. Typically they free range, but I’ve had them secured in the wind-protected run.

Our coop was converted from a shed. It’s a sturdy building — 10x10 with roof ventilation. Hens seem fine so far, but it’s supposed to remain this cold for a few days. Is supplemental heat needed or recommended at night? If so, radiant heaters?

We do water heaters, so we’re covered on that front.
Hi! You are so kind to think of your chickens with the winter cold weather. I hope they did well!
I kept full size buff Orpingtons in northern Maine. We often experienced below zero F. temps. With these heavy girls clothed in beautiful thick feathers, I had no need for supplemental heating.
Their tall house was oriented for the best solar gain, draft elimination, in severe cold their high interior ceiling was lowered to keep warmth closer to their perches and in summer I removed the temporary low ceiling so warm weather heat could rise and ventilate out.
Several years in this severe cold average winter temp of 0 degree F. there was never any stress or frost bite.
The major concern has always keeping the cool in summer!
Best to you!

Back
Top Bottom