Coop and run are almost finished

ShannaES

Songster
Jan 1, 2022
Newhall, California
We are almost finished with our coop and run. Coop is 6'x7' and the run is 7'x14'. The coop has a foundation of concrete pavers, subfloor and then laminate flooring. The run has hardware mesh buried 12" down around perimeter. I also have 3 large dogs that keep many predators off our property. It still needs some final touches and some shade over the run. Any feedback is welcome.
20220203_130100.jpg
20220203_125844.jpg
20220203_125721.jpg
20220203_125823.jpg
20220203_125628.jpg

Nice job.
How many birds do you plan to house in this setup?
The roosts are a bit close to the wall. They should be centered a MINIMUM of 12" from the wall and each other.
The bottom roost appears to be lower than the nest boxes which leaves the nest boxes vulnerable to being slept/pooped in.
You need (a lot) more ventilation. I would remove the blocking/siding from between all the rafters and secure it with 1/2" hardware cloth then cut out as much of the top triangular section of the gable peaks and secure that area with 1/2" HC.

Nice job.
How many birds do you plan to house in this setup?
The roosts are a bit close to the wall. They should be centered a MINIMUM of 12" from the wall and each other.
The bottom roost appears to be lower than the nest boxes which leaves the nest boxes vulnerable to being slept/pooped in.
You need (a lot) more ventilation. I would remove the blocking/siding from between all the rafters and secure it with 1/2" hardware cloth then cut out as much of the top triangular section of the gable peaks and secure that area with 1/2" HC.

Very nice.
Depending on where in the world you are, they may need wider roosts but it looks good.

@DobieLover - I am planning on 7-8 hens. We are located just outside of Santa Clarita, CA (north of Los Angeles). I appreciate the input :)

@ChickenCanoe - The roosts are actually wider than they look, they are good sized branches from fallen Heritage Oaks. I was thinking of adding an interior second door of framed hardware cloth screen so that I can leave the upper portion of the dutch door open as well for ventilation. Thank you for the comment

Welcome to BYC. Where, in general, are you? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

That's a very attractive coop.

Do you have any roof level venting? Heat and ammonia both rise. :)
Thank you, I am a bit north of Los Angeles. I have the option of installing a second interior door of hardware screen so that I can leave the top of the dutch door open for more ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom