Coop and Run Project - 5 Years in the Making

royrector

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Central Texas
It all began 5 years ago in March of 2013, when I begin replacing a row of red tip photinia bushes marking the northern property line of my place. The two previous summer droughts had killed off almost all of the trees, so I decided to pull them up and build a privacy fence in their place. While I was planning the fence, I started researching back yard chickens, and decided now is the time -- I can construct the fence as part of the chicken run and build a coop.

June 2013

I got the picket fence built on the property line. I put up an 8 foot high fence, so it can double as the northern boundary of the chicken run. I started by installing 4x4 post -- setting them in concrete 40 inches deep and 8 feet apart:

001.jpg

Once I got the top two cross members in, I used my X748 John Deere garden tractor and my tiller to dig-out in-between the post so I can bury welded wire. That should keep critters from digging under the fence and getting my chickens.

002.jpg

The tiller worked pretty good. Just had to take a shovel and clean out the loose dirt:

003.jpg

I installed the wire, and curved it to the outside so if a critter digs down next to the fence, they will hit the wire:

004.jpg

Then I added a row of buried bricks, just to make it harder to dig under:

005.jpg

The wire was installed in the last 6 sections, which was originally planned to be the chicken run:

006.jpg

With the wire installed, I continued installing the pickets, to finish the privacy element of the fence:

007.jpg

So the chicken run has on its north border an 8 foot high picket fence with 4 feet of welded wire on the inside:

008.jpg

I installed the end posts of the chicken run's south side. This will be a welded wire fence to keep the girls safe, and allow us to watch them from the back porch. Originally, I planned on a run that is 8 foot wide by 48 foot long (384 square feet):

009.jpg

I will build the coop on that end in the shade. This picture was taken at 4:30 PM, so as the day heats up the coop will have plenty of shade. Here is the "coop’s view" of where the run will be:

010.jpg

I installed some solar power accent lights on each post. Kind of gives it a nice affect after dark:

011.jpg

012.jpg

August 2013

I’m made progress on the project. After finishing the privacy fence construction, I started working on setting the post for the chicken run:

014.jpg

Next came burying the lines. I am running water, electricity, Cat 5 (internet) cable and compressed air to the coop:

015.jpg

Yep, my girls will have their very own internet café. And I figure 140 PSI compressed air will be handy for blowing out the coop at cleaning time.

I then set the post for the coop. I used 4x6’s and buried them 40 inches in concrete:

016.jpg

The string you see in this picture (around the post) mark where I will add fill to raise and level the ground. Since this is the lower part of the yard (and in the flood plain) I figured I better raise the coop up off of the ground and fill in underneath to redirect the rain run-off.

I cut the post to 18 inches above the fill line, and will use the underside of the coop for more additional run area:

017.jpg

I installed the hardware cloth before adding the fill, and used road base for the fill so it would pack in real tight under the coop, and if a critter gets past the hardware cloth, trying to dig though road base will be its worst nightmare:

017.jpg

Coop and Run Project, 5 Years in the Making Part 2

Next came the floor supports. I placed them on 12 inch centers because I plan on using sand as the coop floor covering and I want to make sure it can handle the weight:

018.jpg

I put it together with 4 inch TruLock framing bolts, so hopefully it will outlive me:

019.jpg

Here is the view from the creek:

020.jpg

And a view from the back porch:

021.jpg

I set the angle of the coop so we will be able to see the birds through the coop windows from the back porch.

I'm also working on the on the upper end of the run:

022.jpg

023.jpg

I'll use PVC roofing sheet to cover the run so the chickens can have shade and a mud free run with it rains.

October 2013

I installed the PVC roofing on the first section of the run:

024.jpg

025.jpg

026.jpg

And then I decided that would make a great shed. So I completed the next section and added a crushed granite floor:

027.jpg

028.jpg

So the chickens will have 16 less feet of run. But if you don't tell them, they will never know. ;-)

June 2017

Well, it has been 5 years since I started the chicken coop project. Life got in the way and I haven’t worked on it at all, until now. I plan on getting it finished this year, in time for 2018 spring chicks. The project has weathered a bit over the last four years, but I built it with treated lumber and added Thompson water seal so I’m good:

029.jpg

030.jpg

The white bundle in the background are the shingles for the coop. the black enclosure is a compost pit I built from composite railroad ties:

031.jpg

It will be inside the run. I’m thinking the chickens will love scratching around in it, and with all that poop’in and scratch’in, they will be little worker bees making compost for the garden. ;-)

I went to Home Depot and bought the lumber for framing up the coop. My RV is in the shop, so I took advantage of the empty RV shelter to frame up the walls and created the roof trusses:

032.jpg

033.jpg

034.jpg

In a couple of week, I have my son come over and we’ll have a good old fashioned “barn raising” and install the wall and trusses -- getting it dried in and ready to install the shingles.

Today we got the coop framed up. It is a 10x20 Gambrel Roof structure that is much bigger in real life than it is on paper. I thinking it isn’t gonna be no coop. Apparently from what I read it will be a - - - - Chicken Mansion:

View from the back yard:

Framing1.jpg

View from the shed at the end of the run:

Framing2.jpg

View from behind the coop looking down the run area.

Faming3.jpg

Still lots of work to do, but I have a good start in getting it finished this summer. If you are interested the framing process, I had a GoPro camera running and taking a photo every 60 seconds. I made a quick little time-lapse video. It is a minute and a half long and pretty much shows the day from start to finish. Here is a link to the video:

That'll be a chicken mansion for sure! Something you may want to consider is not making the area under the coop part of the run especially since it's that low. It'll be tough crawling under there when a chicken decides that's where she wants to lay her eggs or is sick/injured, doesn't want to come out, and is in the far back corner.

That'll be a chicken mansion for sure! Something you may want to consider is not making the area under the coop part of the run especially since it's that low. It'll be tough crawling under there when a chicken decides that's where she wants to lay her eggs or is sick/injured, doesn't want to come out, and is in the far back corner.

Yea, I have been thinking about exactly what you have said here, since I started working on the project again. I am going to fence it off so they can't get under the coop. I am to old be crawling around under buildings. ;-)

July 4, 2017

Celebrated Independence Day by getting a little more work done on the coop. Got the roof covered so if it rains I’ll be good:

038.jpg

And started working on installing the Hardy Plank roof eave trim and the drip edge:

039.jpg

But at about 5:00 pm I ran completely out of gas -- I am pooped. Two days of hanging out with Manual Labor wore me out (did I mention I am almost 61?). But the good news is I have an awesome farmer’s tan!

But tomorrow it will be time to get back to reality – got my little retirement job to focus on for the next three days. It will be the weekend before I can get back to my little back yard chick coop project.

Saw the chunks of Austin stone and had to scroll up to confirm my suspicions: yup, Central Texas. Well done! Glad you are fencing off that crawl space. Folks our age got no business getting up under there. :old

Can't wait to see the finished product. Just be sure you have a way to get your wheel barrow or mini trailer up to the compost pile. I had to redo mine with a "dump hatch" at the trailer deck height so I could push out trailer contents into the bin as needed. Saved a ton of shoveling.

Please be safe in all this heat. You got plenty of time. :thumbsup

Sweet, I love a great build thread!

Not too late to think about adding open eaves under the bottom edges of the upper planes of that gambrel roof for better ventilation.....or maybe you are planning a long cupola?

So the chickens will have 16 less feet of run. But if you don't tell them, they will never know. ;-)
:lau

Sweet, I love a great build thread!

Not too late to think about adding open eaves under the bottom edges of the upper planes of that gambrel roof for better ventilation.....or maybe you are planning a long cupola?

:lau

That is exactly why I built the gambrel trusses to overhang the walls like that. I plan on leaving the eaves open covered on the bottom edge with hardware coth, and adding a roof ridge vent when I install the shingles. I figure that will give me a convection effect to draw air in through the eaves and heat and moisture out through the roof ridge vent. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom