Coop Brooding vs Indoor

"If you're tempted to mark your chicks in some way, it's important that you don't artificially create “differences” that will draw attention and become a focus of obsession. Especially refrain from using anything red to identify any of the chicks. Keep chicks as uniform in appearance as possible."

@azygous I had planned on using small pieces of blue drinking straws, numbered, just to help keep track of my babies. Thoughts?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/aggressive-baby-chicks-and-how-to-stop-the-behavior

It's wise not to use anything that might end up in a chick's crop. They are babies, and just like human babies, things like bands on their tiny legs are risky as choking hazards if they come off. And don't underestimate the ability of chicks to get things off their their legs and into their mouths.

If you need to mark them, use a colored permanent felt marker or nail polish.

I've tried using plastic hair bands to mark chicks, and it was tempting because they're cheap and come in all sizes and colors. But even the smallest size will come off, and if they don't fall off, the chicks grow so fast that I failed to notice until a band was constricting the circulation of a chick's leg.

You have the benefit of my stupid mistakes, so your chicks don't have to suffer any mishaps. Luckily, I caught the problem in time, and no real damage was done, but it was a close call.

You have the benefit of my stupid mistakes, so your chicks don't have to suffer any mishaps. Luckily, I caught the problem in time, and no real damage was done, but it was a close call.
Thanks so much! I had put 'straw' bands on two of them just to see how they would react, too. They were not happy and I immediately took them off. I have rainbow colored sharpies, so going that route! Thank you as always!!!

Noon is chick siesta time, apparently~

My shipment of bantams was in terrible condition, so I have them (1 survivor &5 buddies from LFS) under the lamp while I make sure "Forest" is able. We will be switching to MHP tonight.

I used MHP on my chest a few times to see how the babies did and they slept soooo good the whole time I watched a movie.
love.gif

Thank you to ALL THE LEGENDS! Y'all have made my life and that of my chicks much easier.
thumbsup.gif

I did both; I collected and hatched some of my own chicks inside (no, I did not sit on them) and the next year I had three broody hens who raised babies. I preferred the outdoor hatching.

I actually have a full insulated brooder outside, attached to the back of my chicken coop! I can have up to 50 chicks in there easily in the spring and summer, but in the winter I would say less, as they would be inside more. After about 1 month, the chicks have access to a large run during the day, and if it's as hot as it is now (30 degrees in the day!!!) they are taken off of the heat lamp, simply because it is much too hot. I really enjoy this setup, as the chicks are out by the chickens, and when in the run will be able to interact with my current flock through the fence! I also really enjoy it because it allows me to have chicks at any time of the year.

The people who rented out my house last year asked if they could put their (100) chicks in one of the unfinished basement rooms for a week, (which turned into well over a month, god I hated those people)... The walls were soaked up with feces, and it's been a year and the rooms still has an odour. 0/10, was a horrible idea which caused damage to the house, and made the place smell pretty gross! I even have a bunch of rabbits and quail in my basement right now (The Bear has been around too much lately, don't want to lose anyone), and it doesn't smell anything near that. I guess if you dont mind the smell and mess of chicks, it could be alright, but I personally think it's a bad idea, unless you have a small amount of chicks (under 10).

I also have a mama hen and a mama turkey, and I separated the hen while she was broody, but when her chick was a few days old I sent her back in the coop! The mama is very aggressive and protective of her chicks, and now none of the other chickens even think about pecking her babies! I really like having her raise her chicks with the flock, but it can be a pain to make sure that her babies are getting the high protein feed and not the layer feed (too much calcium)

I personally don't like raising chicks in the coop with the other birds with a heat lamp, I worry about the chicks getting too cold at night ( my coop is very large and uninsulated ) and during the day, too hot ( yet again, uninsulated). And once the older birds discover that those chicks have their own extra yummy food 24/7, they will stop at nothing to get to it!

I actually have a full insulated brooder outside, attached to the back of my chicken coop! I can have up to 50 chicks in there easily in the spring and summer, but in the winter I would say less, as they would be inside more. After about 1 month, the chicks have access to a large run during the day, and if it's as hot as it is now (30 degrees in the day!!!) they are taken off of the heat lamp, simply because it is much too hot. I really enjoy this setup, as the chicks are out by the chickens, and when in the run will be able to interact with my current flock through the fence! I also really enjoy it because it allows me to have chicks at any time of the year.

The people who rented out my house last year asked if they could put their (100) chicks in one of the unfinished basement rooms for a week, (which turned into well over a month, god I hated those people)... The walls were soaked up with feces, and it's been a year and the rooms still has an odour. 0/10, was a horrible idea which caused damage to the house, and made the place smell pretty gross! I even have a bunch of rabbits and quail in my basement right now (The Bear has been around too much lately, don't want to lose anyone), and it doesn't smell anything near that. I guess if you dont mind the smell and mess of chicks, it could be alright, but I personally think it's a bad idea, unless you have a small amount of chicks (under 10).

I also have a mama hen and a mama turkey, and I separated the hen while she was broody, but when her chick was a few days old I sent her back in the coop! The mama is very aggressive and protective of her chicks, and now none of the other chickens even think about pecking her babies! I really like having her raise her chicks with the flock, but it can be a pain to make sure that her babies are getting the high protein feed and not the layer feed (too much calcium)

I personally don't like raising chicks in the coop with the other birds with a heat lamp, I worry about the chicks getting too cold at night ( my coop is very large and uninsulated ) and during the day, too hot ( yet again, uninsulated). And once the older birds discover that those chicks have their own extra yummy food 24/7, they will stop at nothing to get to it!
Have you considered using flock raiser? It has higher protein and you can provide oyster shell/calcium on the side for layers, others won't eat it if they don't need it.

Have you considered using flock raiser? It has higher protein and you can provide oyster shell/calcium on the side for layers, others won't eat it if they don't need it.
Yup, have considered it, but theres not all too much need for me to try, as Im quite happy with my set up right now! Also I live in an isolated coastal city (need to take a ferry to get anywhere) and so feed can be much more pricey here.... My girls have plenty of eggshells to snack on too, for calcium, but I've had issues with their eggshells, so I;m thinking they need to kinda be forced into eating more calcium... (they didnt like the oyster shells I got them.... maybe they were too big??)

Yup, have considered it, but theres not all too much need for me to try, as Im quite happy with my set up right now! Also I live in an isolated coastal city (need to take a ferry to get anywhere) and so feed can be much more pricey here.... My girls have plenty of eggshells to snack on too, for calcium, but I've had issues with their eggshells, so I;m thinking they need to kinda be forced into eating more calcium... (they didnt like the oyster shells I got them.... maybe they were too big??)
Nice, I love the coast.

I think finer is better for oyster shells, I have seen some pretty big ones. Many people put acv in their water, I think it helps with calcium absorption. But you concern was babies getting enough protein so I guess I got side tracked. Sorry, so much good information from this sight floating around in my head!
tongue.png

Nice, I love the coast.

I think finer is better for oyster shells, I have seen some pretty big ones. Many people put acv in their water, I think it helps with calcium absorption. But you concern was babies getting enough protein so I guess I got side tracked. Sorry, so much good information from this sight floating around in my head!
tongue.png
Mhm, of course! I give everyone ACV quite frequently, they all seem to like it, but boy am I going through it fast!

It's wise not to use anything that might end up in a chick's crop. They are babies, and just like human babies, things like bands on their tiny legs are risky as choking hazards if they come off. And don't underestimate the ability of chicks to get things off their their legs and into their mouths.

If you need to mark them, use a colored permanent felt marker or nail polish.

I've tried using plastic hair bands to mark chicks, and it was tempting because they're cheap and come in all sizes and colors. But even the smallest size will come off, and if they don't fall off, the chicks grow so fast that I failed to notice until a band was constricting the circulation of a chick's leg.

I received chicks from a hatchery and they had colored cable ties on their legs. I never thought much about it until one day I noticed it was constricting the leg. We worked so hard to get that thing off without hurting the leg. Luckily my daughter had come for lunch and was able to help me. my advice would be dark nail polish.

Back
Top Bottom