Coop Builders - What would you have changed or done differently?

Here is ours. We through some nest boxes together with leftover scrap. We need to build some differently with more boxes available. Two hens get in the same one frequently to lay. Coop is fully insulated and stay warm in winter and fairly cool in summer. We use a box fan in one of the windows to ventilate during the day during the summer months.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/album/view/id/6163516

I would have built bigger and have a larger people door. Mine is not wide enough to get a wheelbarrow in, it is barely wide enough to get me in lol.

I have a 8X4 8'high coop with a cement floor. I love the cement floor so far, my run is dirt floor, so far no problems there either for me. I am doing deep litter and like it too.

I honestly think this is one time bigger really is better lol

I plan on building somewhat open coops with the tops, backs full covered and the sides semi covered and only the top of the fronts covered.
open areas will have no climb wire with chicken wire at the base as well to keep critters out.
we only get in to about 18 or 19 degrees on occasion but generally in the upper 20's to low 30's in the winter. We can get a fair amount of snow when storms come down from the gulf of Alaska

I keep reading that people would have gone bigger, being new to chickens I read something that said to keep the space limited as to not have to open of a layout for chickens. I think it had to do with drafts or something, but now I am wondering if I should have made a larger run....and maybe when I build the nest boxes to built some 'extras'. Anyone ever hear about chickens having too much space in the coop? I know it doesn't get REALLY cold in NY but it still gets cold and I wouldn't want the chickens to have too much air flow in the winter if that really can be a problem.

I keep reading that people would have gone bigger, being new to chickens I read something that said to keep the space limited as to not have to open of a layout for chickens. I think it had to do with drafts or something, but now I am wondering if I should have made a larger run....and maybe when I build the nest boxes to built some 'extras'. Anyone ever hear about chickens having too much space in the coop? I know it doesn't get REALLY cold in NY but it still gets cold and I wouldn't want the chickens to have too much air flow in the winter if that really can be a problem.
they need to be dry and out of the wind. If your coops are open face the backs of the coops to way the wind blows. that works here not sure how cold it gets where you are but they do need good ventilation

Lessons learned:

Be sure your door locking mechanisms cannot lock you in the coop without a way out. Some of these self-closing latches are convenient but could make for a very long night in the coop before someone finds you in the morning.

I initially went with internal nesting boxes but found that it took up too much valuable space in my 8x8 coop. I'm in the prcess of punching out part of a wall to make them external. They won't be hinged because they're not for my convenience and I don't want to deal with a leaky hinged seam.

I would have installed watering cups from day one had I know how clean they keep the water and don't leak like many of the nipples do inside the coop. I will keep the nipple waterers for outside run use only.

Make your run larger than expected.

Have electricity relatively close to your coop if possible. It is a pain dragging 150' of extension cord to work on something-the generator is even heavier.

Along the same lines-I ran a water line to my coop to make filling up their water less of a mess. I used a frost free hydrant and PEX line to prevent freezing problems in the winter and have a 10' coiled hose that stays neat and out fo the way instead of a huge garden hose that looks messy and gets in the way.

More ventillation up high to passively exhaust heat and fumes during the hot summer days. I cut out a section 12" tall the entire upper length of two walls to allow for cross ventillation and screwed in hardware cloth to keep the furry things out of the coop. It looks nice, is under the overhang of the roof so it stays dry and works well. I also added nylon windown screening on the inside of all of my harware cloth vents to cut down on the spiders and other bugs that were crawling in through them.

Make at least one window big enough for a box fan to exchange air in the summertime heat. I keep mine blowing out to pull air in through the vents and not blow directly on the birds but still give them fresh air. This one thing has virtually eliminated any coop smell in the summer.

The list could go on and on as I don't think any of my coops will ever truly be finished. I am always finding something to do different to make life easier for the birds or myself. The one rule I wished that I would have followed is to go larger with the initial size of the coop because there are only so many things you can do in a limited space.

Last edited:
Here is ours. We through some nest boxes together with leftover scrap. We need to build some differently with more boxes available. Two hens get in the same one frequently to lay. Coop is fully insulated and stay warm in winter and fairly cool in summer. We use a box fan in one of the windows to ventilate during the day during the summer months.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/album/view/id/6163516

I would be living in that coop and the birds could have my house! It's beautiful. Full of light and plenty of room. I'm "pea green" with envy!

My hens will get in the same box even when there are empty boxes lying around. With only 3 girls, I went down to one box and they share although one may stand next to it "waiting her turn" while the another one is busy laying her egg!

Lessons learned:

Be sure your door locking mechanisms cannot lock you in the coop without a way out. Some of these self-closing latches are convenient but could make for a very long night in the coop before someone finds you in the morning.

Very important one! We have a string attached to the lock going through the coop so anyone inside can still get out!

I plan on building somewhat open coops with the tops, backs full covered and the sides semi covered and only the top of the fronts covered.
open areas will have no climb wire with chicken wire at the base as well to keep critters out.
we only get in to about 18 or 19 degrees on occasion but generally in the upper 20's to low 30's in the winter. We can get a fair amount of snow when storms come down from the gulf of Alaska

Remember, chicken wire will not deter predators. Chicken wire will keep chickens where you want them, but will not keep predators out. You need hardware cloth.

Back
Top Bottom