Coop built-have a few questions re bedding and poop

Will79

Chirping
May 20, 2020
Salisbury, NC
Hi all-beginner here. Built a coop based on some pictures-8x4 with a 3x1.5 nesting box (May add a second to the other side). Reclaimed wood and some tin as well as some vinyl for windows. Large enough for my 6 golden comets who I’ve had for 6 weeks from TSC plus more.

I built it with what I had on hand wood wise. Debating what I want to do bedding wise in the coop-I’m cleaning the temp space’s pine shavings every couple days so am curious my options in the coop. I haven’t I cut out an entrance yet. Part of me wants to put down vinyl for ease of clean up weekly maybe and the other part wants to look at longer term options.

This weekends project will be making a run-roughly 64sq ft give or take.

Thanks in advance!
430BCEAA-FE80-4C4F-B66E-C89478172CFE.jpeg

Nice Job :thumbsup ,,,, I think your coop may need some more ventilation. Don't think you need more nesting than what you already have for 6 chickens.
You can use the pine shavings in your coop,,,, and not need to change out, as often compared to your brooder inside your home. Keep your feed and water in run area, less liquid spills in coop, as well as less feed to deal with that potentially gets spilled.
You can choose to lay down linoleum, or vinyl if you want. Will make cleaning out litter more of an easier glide.
Another choice for litter are wood pellets that are used to line horse stalls. I have a few bags that I will be using for my cat litter boxes soon. I use hay inside my coop. and like it. Has been that way for over 20 years. Straw is an option as well,,,,,, but for a few coins more,,, hay is my preference,and is eatable as well. I use Alfalfa, or Timothy.
Ask anything else you need to know,:highfive:
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Nice Job :thumbsup ,,,, I think your coop may need some more ventilation. Don't think you need more nesting than what you already have for 6 chickens.
You can use the pine shavings in your coop,,,, and not need to change out, as often compared to your brooder inside your home. Keep your feed and water in run area, less liquid spills in coop, as well as less feed to deal with that potentially gets spilled.
You can choose to lay down linoleum, or vinyl if you want. Will make cleaning out litter more of an easier glide.
Another choice for litter are wood pellets that are used to line horse stalls. I have a few bags that I will be using for my cat litter boxes soon. I use hay inside my coop. and like it. Has been that way for over 20 years. Straw is an option as well,,,,,, but for a few coins more,,, hay is my preference,and is eatable as well. I use Alfalfa, or Timothy.
Ask anything else you need to know,:highfive:
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Thanks! I have overhangs with 5-6” openings with hardware cloth the entire length-should I open up the ends at the top? Would think if roosting they could get cold from drafts.

I know those pellets well-use them for our rabbit and chinchillas. I have a few bales of pine shavings so will use those for now. Assuming spot clean as I see each day then let it compact down and clean every few weeks?

Thanks again!

Thanks! I have overhangs with 5-6” openings with hardware cloth the entire length-should I open up the ends at the top? Would think if roosting they could get cold from drafts.
I did see the full length opening. My suggestion for additional venting is in the top of the gables. Heat and moisture will go all the way up, and no exit route.
When you install roost bars inside, make them at height so that chickens heads are well below the openings of those long vents. Seal off all potential draft openings at the chicken roosting level. Above the chicken level, it is no longer draft, but ventilation.
If you encounter heavy winds during winter, then you have option of installing/constructing baffles,,, to keep direct wind from blasting in. Baffles, can be a variety of things, including hay packs, furnace filters, and solid boards placed a small distance away from opening,,, inside, or outside.
Remember that roost bars do not need to be at top of coop. If your roost bars were only 12 inches above coop floor, that is as high as your chickens would be able to get. They would be just as happy regardless. One option you can do,, is to have 2 roost bars at 2 separate heights. They would use the higher one in summer warm weather to enjoy fresh air at vent level. In winter,, remove that one, and they will be content to use the lower one.

If you are looking for something more natural, you can probably use the deep litter method? So you start with a deep base of shavings or straw and keep adding more litter each week, with some tasty morsels too. This gets the chickens to scratch around and aerate their own compost! Once the litter is deep enough, sometimes upto a year long, you can clean!
And what's better, the litter can then be used as a fertilizer for the garden!
All the best! :)

I support the linoleum method. Bought scrap piece, glued down with the correct adhesive, and silicones around the edges. 8 years later it’s still there. Makes cleaning and washing out with the hose a snap.

I don't think they are going to get cold in GA.

Nice you have a true monitor roof...but the peak above looks strange?
The roof over hangs might not be enough to keep rain out of the monitor vents.

Hi all-beginner here. Built a coop based on some pictures-8x4 with a 3x1.5 nesting box (May add a second to the other side). Reclaimed wood and some tin as well as some vinyl for windows. Large enough for my 6 golden comets who I’ve had for 6 weeks from TSC plus more.

I built it with what I had on hand wood wise. Debating what I want to do bedding wise in the coop-I’m cleaning the temp space’s pine shavings every couple days so am curious my options in the coop. I haven’t I cut out an entrance yet. Part of me wants to put down vinyl for ease of clean up weekly maybe and the other part wants to look at longer term options.

This weekends project will be making a run-roughly 64sq ft give or take.

Thanks in advance!View attachment 2151294
Nice coop! And sounds like a wonderful run! Great start. I love being able to hose my coop out once in a while. I know air moving thru (even in winter) is very important so all stay dry. Hay works well but it can be messy as the chickens kick it everywhere. I recently read about sand...almost cat box like so scooping is easy, but in winter is cold and can ice over.

If you are looking for something more natural, you can probably use the deep litter method? So you start with a deep base of shavings or straw and keep adding more litter each week, with some tasty morsels too. This gets the chickens to scratch around and aerate their own compost! Once the litter is deep enough, sometimes upto a year long, you can clean!
And what's better, the litter can then be used as a fertilizer for the garden!
All the best! :)
Yes definitely thinking about this!

Back
Top Bottom