Coop choice confusion

Geauxchag

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
Kansas City
I’m so confused. I thought I’d ask you guys for help. I’ve decided not to go with an Omlet product. I did a rough calculation for what it would cost to build a new coop from scratch. That was scary. Especially because I’m not handy!! Has anyone actually had good luck buying a coop from any of these companies? I was looking at Westphalia trading company but I’m afraid because my last coop that I bought was a bad design!! Unfortunately I lost my coop and flock in a fire so I’m starting all over. I have learned some hard lessons, like butter beware. If anyone has had a good experience with buying a coop please help. I plan to have six hens that are a mix of Orpingtons and Brahmas. Thanks

I’m so confused. I thought I’d ask you guys for help. I’ve decided not to go with an Omlet product. I did a rough calculation for what it would cost to build a new coop from scratch. That was scary. Especially because I’m not handy!! Has anyone actually had good luck buying a coop from any of these companies? I was looking at Westphalia trading company but I’m afraid because my last coop that I bought was a bad design!! Unfortunately I lost my coop and flock in a fire so I’m starting all over. I have learned some hard lessons, like butter beware. If anyone has had a good experience with buying a coop please help. I plan to have six hens that are a mix of Orpingtons and Brahmas. Thanks
Have you considered getting an old shed and converting that into a coop? It's not too hard. I did it. Granted I build and remodel a lot but it really isn't too hard.
Try contacting a local shed builder and ask what they do with the old sheds they remove from peoples properties. Look at CL and FB Marketplace for an old shed.

Hello, welcome to BYC. I'm sorry about your fire and loss. :(

I agree, converting a shed is likely to give you better results than buying any kind of prefab.

If there is a prefab that actually does meet the usual guidelines of:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- the pop door that's closed at night and any windows that are closed in the winter don't count,

For the number of chickens it claims to hold I have not been made aware of it's existence.

Where are you located? Climate matters and some resources are locally available or locally unavailable.

I did a rough calculation for what it would cost to build a new coop from scratch. That was scary. Especially because I’m not handy!! Has anyone actually had good luck buying a coop from any of these companies?
Buying one
(adequately sized and of good design-if you can even find one)
will be more expensive.

Hello, welcome to BYC. I'm sorry about your fire and loss. :(

I agree, converting a shed is likely to give you better results than buying any kind of prefab.

If there is a prefab that actually does meet the usual guidelines of:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run,
1 linear foot of roost,
and 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- the pop door that's closed at night and any windows that are closed in the winter don't count,

For the number of chickens it claims to hold I have not been made aware of it's existence.

Where are you located? Climate matters and some resources are locally available or locally unavailable.
I’m in Kansas City

I agree with the shed comments.

Find a used shed and fix it up... or if you have the money hire a shed builder.

I was raised with zero building experience....

And I scrouned free junk... laid it all out on my lawn... decided how the junk would fit together... then fit it all together. No plans... very little measuring...

And guess what... after multiple years both coops are still standing.

Also... if you want, there are you tube videos that cover almost everything now a days.

I have a Formex chicken coop. It ships for free from My Pet Chicken. I have it enclosed in a 10' x 10' chainlink run that I purchased at TSC. It all seemed a bit pricey at first. I even added the solar door closer. But when I figured out what I had spent in the past on lumber and "trying to make things work" it really was worth the money for my 8 chickens.

Also, the Formex coop is plastic so it can be hosed down to clean, and no worry about mites or pests. I don't find it too hot for them in the summer and we have triple digit days. I have a flat panel heater if it gets below zero in the winter but with 8 in there to sleep they keep it pretty toasty.

I know some people are concerned about 8 chickens in a small coop (I have the large Formex coop) but mine are not the largest breed (ISA brown) and they are only in the coop to sleep in our climate. We do not often have rain or snow all day. If you are concerned, you could always purchase multiple coops to give them more space.

I started off with a free Craigslist doghouse, put up on cinder blocks inside of a used chainlink 12' long x 7' wide x 6' tall dog kennel. I wrapped the top part of the sides and the roof of the chainlink kennel with a roll of 5' tall chicken wire, then took a roll of 4'tall 1/2" hardware cloth and wrapped the bottom part of the chainlink kennel 30" up the sides and folded it at a right angle to extend 18" out along the ground to deter digging predators.

This setup cost me about $350 total, plus some work to install perches and nest boxes in the free doghouse, paint it to look nice, and attach the chicken wire and hardware cloth to the chainlink kennel, none of which require more than beginner skills. Compared to any pre-fab coop for sale for $350 from any company, this was much bigger, way safer from predators, easier to keep clean, not a whole lot harder to set up, and lasts forever instead of rotting or falling apart after one or two years.

This lasted us several years with no deterioration and kept our small flock safe, then after "chicken math" happened and we chose to expand our flock, it was easy to build onto.

I have a Formex chicken coop. It ships for free from My Pet Chicken. I have it enclosed in a 10' x 10' chainlink run that I purchased at TSC. It all seemed a bit pricey at first. I even added the solar door closer. But when I figured out what I had spent in the past on lumber and "trying to make things work" it really was worth the money for my 8 chickens.

Also, the Formex coop is plastic so it can be hosed down to clean, and no worry about mites or pests. I don't find it too hot for them in the summer and we have triple digit days. I have a flat panel heater if it gets below zero in the winter but with 8 in there to sleep they keep it pretty toasty.

I know some people are concerned about 8 chickens in a small coop (I have the large Formex coop) but mine are not the largest breed (ISA brown) and they are only in the coop to sleep in our climate. We do not often have rain or snow all day. If you are concerned, you could always purchase multiple coops to give them more space.
I absolutely love my large Formex coop! We added a 12’ x 4’ run with wheels on it for a tractor. My 6 big girls fit fine in it and it’s super easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom