Coop finished, new problem

So I have completed my coop other than putting sand in run. I now have a new problem. The chickens (6) have been free ranging this whole time, got them in February, and they stayed in Brooder until fully feathered. They were hopping up into their brooder to roost while free ranging at night and now that I have their coop finished putting them in there seems a little cruel. But I want them in there at night.
I pulled them off the roost in the brooder night before and put them on roost in hen house they did good and then let them out to free range the next day yesterday. Well last night I left door open for them to get back in and closed up their brooder. They just flew on top of the brooder to roost, so I picked them off the roost and put them in the hen house to roost and this morning I did not let them out just left pop door open so they could go in their run. Question is should I just leave them in there for awhile? Just seems cruel like I say going from free range to such small spaces even though cool is 7 x 14. Any suggestions would be great and I will post pics of final coop today sometime! Thanks!!!!
I'd keep them in the run for a week, where their only place to go is the new coop; they should be alright. Chickens are creatures of habit; not liking change (something like me). Given a choice, they'll return to a particular location, rather than a particular coop. At least, that's been my experience. Not long ago I had several pullets that were growing up in a tractor. I'd turn them out every other day to free range. One day, while they were out of sight, doing chicken stuff, I moved the tractor about 5' to fresh grass. That evening, come dusk, they came back to where the tractor had been when they were turned out, although it was in plain sight, 5' away! Chickens ain't never been accused of being none too swift. :gig

Back
Top Bottom