Coop flooring?

It's great for cleaning but it's really slippery which causes really bad leg problems. You have to put wood chips or other so deep it locks in together. I am considering large pieces of outdoor tile next time set or loose that can be picked up and removed.

Not sure how large your coop is, but I used a car/suv cargo mat I bought at Wal-Mart ($15) and cut it to fit my 4 x 4 coop. I put shavings on top, but it provides a moisture barrier and easy cleaning when I want to scoop it all out.

Yeah I think pergo type stuff would get bad once the straw sits if you do deep litter. And just keep adding it gets damp at the bottom and will swell that laminate f its like mine in my house..It swells up and whatever it's made of under it's ike a hard insulating foam mine looks like it swells then buldges out around the edges.. It would be a mess.I use sheet vinyl. But tile would work well Mine are tractors 2x 4 x2 so I can just pull that vinyl out with the mess on it and dump it..clean the edges of in the coop put vinyl back I'm done.It does curl up a little after a few years if not tacked down though.Still easy to clean out..and off.
Julie's car mat sounds super good too.

Last edited:
I used sheet vinyl over plywood, no seams just one continuous sheet turned up on the sides 4-8" so any spills won't run off the sides. I use pine shavings for their superior absorptive qualities and it can be slippery, especially at first, but the birds get used to it and have seen no crippling injuries as a result after one year. I keep a large towel in the coop shed in case of a spill and soak it up asap, am using horizontal nipples now so much less chance of spills

I have the super heavy duty silver tarp over my wood floor of my coop. It's been there 4 years and is going strong. While my original intention was to simply roll up to take out of the coop for cleaning, I usually sweep it out every other day. Since I don't have chicks right now, I don't have any shavings on the floor. In the summer months I will occasionally mop it to keep the dust down.

Back
Top Bottom