Coop flooring???

KristiPotts

In the Brooder
May 31, 2015
Conyers, Georgia
We are getting ready to begin construction of our coop and run. The frame will sit on a cement foundation with exposed grass/dirt in the run. As the chickens make use of the grass in the run, what material should I replace it with? I've heard sand, I've heard straw, I've heard pine shavings, etc., I am soooo confused!

My first inclination was to do a layer of pea gravel for drainage, covered with landscape cloth, then a layer of sand; however, I realize this doesn't give the chickens lots of foraging opportunity. They will have supervised free range periodically, but that will come in time, so what do you suggest?

What is on your coop/run floor?

Why do you like this method vs. other methods?

First, welcome! Chickens are so fun and entertaining!
As for your run material, that depends on what you want! We have two runs one that is completely open on top and one that is partially covered. On the open run we had grass and now we have dirt. We throw treats in there (lettuce, kale, grass clippings, etc) so that gets worked in to the dirt, but it's all just dirt. I do have a container with sand in there for them to bathe in, but that's it.
The other run has a layer of peat moss and several layers of straw. We will periodically add more straw which breaks down and makes a good base and gives them something to play with and forage through when first put in.
Just a thought on your coop: you might think about raising it up couple of feet and putting chicken while around the sides (so animals can't get in and chickens can't get out) so that they have a place to go when its hot or cold. My girls go under our coop to either get out of the heat and cool off or huddle together if it is chilly. They love it under there! We don't have a concrete pad, just dirt. Here are so pics:

Thank you for the info!

Our run will have space under the coop for the hens to get in the shade or out of the weather (if they choose not to go inside the coop itself). We haven't come up with an exact plan in mind, but have the basics to get started. I've been looking at every single coop on this site and have gotten tons of ideas! My little notebook is full of tips and things to remember!

My girls have a wood floor in the coop and grass, dirt, leafs and all sorts of garden scraps in the run. The coop is 2×4 construction with 2×6 floor. Come fall we will put something solid on the coop floor and continue the dlm. The girls love a ton of bedding to play in on rainy days. Once the kill off the run I will start moving planters in and out of the run so they constantly have fresh vegetables. They are a tad spoiled, they have an entire section of my garden just for their treats.

Back
Top Bottom