Coop Floors

I have coops with all three! It just depends on if it is a walk in style, the security and size of the coop/ flock. I find that coops with support so its 2/3 feet off the ground can use OSB with a thick paint. I prefer concrete for large walk in coops. For smaller walk in coops dirt is fine if you can hardwire the cloth all the way around the perimeter.

After a lot of thought on this, I think I've decided on a wood floor coop, raised off the ground a bit. That way if it does flood, the coop is off the ground some and it just seems safer to me with other bad critters around. I will cover the wood with linoleum to protect it better.

Question; in my experience wood doesn't last too long when buried in decomposing soil. How do you keep your wood floors from rotting out under all that what is essentially compost.?

Our coop is very dry, the water is in the run and there are awning windows that don't allow rain to come in. There is no decomposing going on. We use deep bedding, not deep litter in the coop. Twice a year we do a complete clean out. The poopboard catches most droppings and that is cleaned daily.

Back
Top Bottom