Coop foundation challenges

HowIsItDone

Chirping
Mar 19, 2024
South Eastern Ontario
Hi Builders!

We are starting to build a coop on a slope in my yard. (There are no level areas that are suitable.)

It will be 10 X 12 walk-in, with a 15 X 12 attached run.
The soil is sandy loam, and will heave in the freeze/thaw cycle we have every year.

We spent the day yesterday trying to screw 4' posts (Foundation supports) into the ground, and kept running into rocks. We managed to get one in, and have 11 to go.

Can anyone suggest an easier way to level and support the building?

How big are these rocks. We talking large annoying pebbles, or boulders?

Another option would be to create a strip footing. Either out of concrete or heavy sleepers.
Basically a structural edging the you can then attach your posts to via stirrups.
If you get high winds, you may need extra bracing and tie down. Unless the strip footing is especially heavy, it would need to be anchored. This can be done with piers. You will have the flexibility to out piers down wherever you can get them as opposed to where the posts must be.

An above ground strip footing will give you inbuilt retention for soil in the coop. Also a ready made place to attach a predator apron. Also help prevent major ground water runoff ingress.

You may be able to get pre fabricated concrete stumps or sleepers. you can lay on a nice straight level compacted gravel perimeter. Then just bolt posts to those. If you can get suitable timber, you can secure it with posts into the ground whenever you can get them.

Essentially a really low timber or concrete retaining wall as a large rectangle you then build the structure on top of.

Just be aware that posts down in the ground provide inherent bracing. Stuff built on top of ground does not. It's easily rectified with proper bracing at the correct points.

Good treated timber will last many years. Even decades. Concrete will last lifetimes.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
How big are these rocks. We talking large annoying pebbles, or boulders?

Another option would be to create a strip footing. Either out of concrete or heavy sleepers.
Basically a structural edging the you can then attach your posts to via stirrups.
If you get high winds, you may need extra bracing and tie down. Unless the strip footing is especially heavy, it would need to be anchored. This can be done with piers. You will have the flexibility to out piers down wherever you can get them as opposed to where the posts must be.

An above ground strip footing will give you inbuilt retention for soil in the coop. Also a ready made place to attach a predator apron. Also help prevent major ground water runoff ingress.

You may be able to get pre fabricated concrete stumps or sleepers. you can lay on a nice straight level compacted gravel perimeter. Then just bolt posts to those. If you can get suitable timber, you can secure it with posts whenever you can get them.

Essentially a really low timber retaining wall you then build the structure on top of.

Hope that makes sense.
The rocks I found when digging the garden ranged from chicken egg sized to dinosaur egg sized.

I'm not quite sure about the terminology you've used, but I will show your post to the builder when in comes in this morning.

Thank you for taking the time.😊

Pull your head in

Mate I'm Australian. Do you know which areas in Australia are subject to ground frost? Didn't think so. It's the last thing any Aussie would ever think of.
Did you look at MY location before attempting to chastise me? You didn't did you. No doubt you are thoroughly knowledgeable on the various climates in countries not your own 🤨

It's a good idea. I'm not talking about building a swimming pool here. I'll make sure I don't offer any helpful suggestions to you in particular from now on 👍

Last edited:
Pull your head in

Mate I'm Australian. Do you know which areas in Australia are subject to ground frost? Didn't think so. It's the last thing any Aussie would ever think of.
Did you look at MY location before attempting to chastise me? You didn't did you. No doubt you are thoroughly knowledgeable on the various climates in countries not your own 🤨

It's a good idea. I'm not talking about building a swimming pool here. I'll make sure I don't offer any helpful suggestions to you in particular from now on 👍
🫣 Great day for my laptop to die, eh friends?
Sorry.

I had to get a new one, and then I had to remember or reset passwords. 😔

Thanks to you both of you for your assistance. 😊

Today he poured concrete into the 4 main support holes, which are 4 feet deep, dug by hand (well, by shovel, because of the rocks), and tomorrow the floor of the coop will be built with hardware cloth between the layers of the floor, assuming everything goes well.

It was really hot today. Around 30c (86f), but we are getting there.

He brought his son. We had burgers and ice cream. 🥰

🫣 Great day for my laptop to die, eh friends?
Sorry.

I had to get a new one, and then I had to remember or reset passwords. 😔

Thanks to you both of you for your assistance. 😊

Today he poured concrete into the 4 main support holes, which are 4 feet deep, dug by hand (well, by shovel, because of the rocks), and tomorrow the floor of the coop will be built with hardware cloth between the layers of the floor, assuming everything goes well.

It was really hot today. Around 30c (86f), but we are getting there.

He brought his son. We had burgers and ice cream. 🥰
"dug by hand (well, by shovel, because of the rocks)"

Lol, this makes no sense at all, but you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom