Coop guineas?

DatacomGuy

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2016
Still learning - and about to start building a chicken coop and run. Not going to free range them.

Can/do I coop Guineas as well? I have read few different FAQ's and lots say to keep them loose - but with them flying, do they return? Sorry if ignorant question, but just really not sure.

I had originally planned on coop'ing with a run. If can coop/run, what sqft per bird?

Still learning - and about to start building a chicken coop and run. Not going to free range them.

Can/do I coop Guineas as well? I have read few different FAQ's and lots say to keep them loose - but with them flying, do they return? Sorry if ignorant question, but just really not sure.

I had originally planned on coop'ing with a run. If can coop/run, what sqft per bird?

Once imprinted they will return.... Make sure they are in every night though. Bribery is the key... meal worms or White millet.... use a call to call them IN... I use Keet keet keet or Treat Treat Treat....

good luck.

deb

I brooded mine right along with some chicks, so they went into the coop with them, too. They got a little too rowdy with my roo, (I ended up with 3 males and 1 female) so I gave them to my mom who just lets them run loose. They prefer high places like trees or ceiling beams, so they might eventually find a spot in the trees and be difficult to get them out of it, but as long as they're happy in the coop, they should stay put and roost up every night like chickens do.

If they're just by themselves, the same sq ft her bird as a chicken would apply. I prefer to give them more space to lessen crowding and pecking; 3 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft in the run should work well. :)

Last edited:
I brooded mine right along with some chicks, so they went into the coop with them, too. They got a little too rowdy with my roo, (I ended up with 3 males and 1 female) so I gave them to my mom who just lets them run loose. They prefer high places like trees or ceiling beams, so they might eventually find a spot in the trees and be difficult to get them out of it, but as long as they're happy in the coop, they should stay put and roost up every night like chickens do.

If they're just by themselves, the same sq ft her bird as a chicken would apply. I prefer to give them more space to lessen crowding and pecking; 3 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft in the run should work well.
smile.png
Awesome.. Thank you!

AND... in many ways i believe that guineas are far wild by nature.
we have had guineas raised by a chicken, the hen and the flock roosted at the coop just next to our house, the guinea keets brooded with chicks.the mother hen (at seven weeks) started to peck the chicks(abondoning them)
but the keets reamin with the mother even though she was laying. she continued to flock with the keets up until they were a 2 year old, still roosting on the coop. their mother got killed by something over night. within the few months whole flock of guineas especially,males started roositing,perching on high trees outside. as the season progress to spring they roost outside,some in the coop. the following year of that year all guineas completely stop roosing on the coop. only the mother guineahen that roosted on the coop with her keets, but as her keets grew,she moved them to trees. I thing they much prefer freedom and love to explore the nature. the other hen was legged broken,but still roositing in trees.................................

I confine my guineas to the coop from hatch until next Spring. Then I will allow them to free range. I keep mine for bug control and they are awesome at their job. Only problem with them is that they progressively roost in the trees and get picked off by raccoon and owl.
My 18 strong flock ended up with just 4 males remaining at the end of the year. Luckily I had hatched 40 keets, I kept most of them and now have a flock of 35 guineas.

It's pretty noisy in their coop even when they are just chatting with one another lol

We have a 12 x 24 pen. It is fully enclosed. The door on our pen is unique. The top half of the door opens and we can keep the bottom half closed. We free range our birds on most days. We put them into the pen when they are about 6 weeks old. We will not let any of the birds out for another 3 weeks. Then we will open the top half of the door. The birds who can fly and figure it out leave the pen .. the others stay in. Eventually everyone figures it out but some take longer than others. All of our birds come into the pen every night. We provide food and water in the pen only. The birds have places to roost in the pen. We call our birds in when the sun touches the horizon.. that is when they are looking for a place for the night. We also have chickens in with our guineas. Most of the chickens are not fliers. The few who do have never figured out how to leave the pen via the open top half of the door.

We designed and built this coop that is documented on another thread. It is the modified hoop coop, especially for guineas. It has a lot of headroom where they can roost high. There are photos of the build starting on about page 4 of the thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1120946/modified-hoop-coop-design-development

I can answer questions for you if you have them. Our guineas truly love their coop, they go in and out during the day to eat food, retreat there if it starts raining, etc. Some folks have trouble with guineas and cooping, so we designed this specifically to try to address some of the problems.

best wishes

My guineas also roost in a tree close to the coop. I have 13 now. All were hatched in an incubator and lived in a coop until they were 5 months old. They returned to the coop for about 2 weeks and then claimed a tree a few feet from the coop. They roost there rain or shine..i ADORE my birds and wish they would go inside during bad weather, but they don't. They love the trees and the pastures and i think they would be sad if i took that away..so i deal with it. I hope if the weather is too extreme they will take cover in their coop. I have geese, chickens, sheep,and dogs, but my guineas seem to be the most hard headed when it comes to bad weather. It drives me nuts! However, I love them and they answer to me at treat time and when i call them home.I am thinking aboit building them a tree house in their tree. I am wondering if that might scare them into finding another tree...anyone know? They are 10 months old.

Back
Top Bottom