Coop is almost complete thinking of using sand in run? straw or shavings in actual coop?

You can just start adding. I regularly add leaf piles that are much taller than my chickens and several feet across; they have it broken up incredibly quick - within minutes sometimes..

I've been following this thread. Thank you for posting this question!
goodpost.gif
My girls just went out into the coop full time yesterday. It is a pre-made kit we bought from TSC. It's not great but it will be a good starter. The run and coop are all enclosed together and I was wondering what people were using in the run. Currently for us, it's just the ground. In the coop I'm doing short cut straw for the nesting boxes and pine chips for the pull out poop tray. However, as convenient as the poop tray is for cleaning, the shavings keep getting stuck under the roosting bars and frame when we pull out the tray.

I am very new at this, I guess I thought that the good ol' ground was just as good for flooring in the run, where they can scratch and forage for bugs and worms. Would the deep litter method be better for them? More comfortable? It's a small run. We do plan on composting so that would seem to fit our plans. They get occasional apples and vegetables as treats (actually toys right now, they don't quite know what to do with them), could these be left when they're done with them to compost? They will also have some free ranging time when we are out in the yard. We have a hawk living in one of our trees so, unfortunately, full time free range isn't going to be an option like I wanted it to.

Shannon

I've been following this thread. Thank you for posting this question! :goodpost: My girls just went out into the coop full time yesterday. It is a pre-made kit we bought from TSC. It's not great but it will be a good starter. The run and coop are all enclosed together and I was wondering what people were using in the run. Currently for us, it's just the ground. In the coop I'm doing short cut straw for the nesting boxes and pine chips for the pull out poop tray. However, as convenient as the poop tray is for cleaning, the shavings keep getting stuck under the roosting bars and frame when we pull out the tray. 

II am very new at this, I guess I thought that the good ol' ground was just as good for flooring in the run, where they can scratch and forage for bugs and worms. Would the deep litter method be better for them? More comfortable? It's a small run. We do plan on composting so that would seem to fit our plans. They get occasional apples and vegetables as treats (actually toys right now, they don't quite know what to do with them), could these be left when they're done with them to compost? They will also have some free ranging time when we are out in the yard. We have a hawk living in one of our trees so, unfortunately, full time free range isn't going to be an option like I wanted it to. 
Shannon

The problem with good ol' ground is it's going to get stinky from all that poo! With the DLM they still will have acces to bugs and worms but the poo will get stirred into the litter, out of sight and decompose. We leave most uneaten fruit or veggies in there to decompose. I usually take out pumpkin shells, watermelon shells and corn cobs. They're just too big & messy looking.

The problem with good ol' ground is it's going to get stinky from all that poo! With the DLM they still will have acces to bugs and worms but the poo will get stirred into the litter, out of sight and decompose. We leave most uneaten fruit or veggies in there to decompose. I usually take out pumpkin shells, watermelon shells and corn cobs. They're just too big & messy looking.
I've noticed this. Until last night, they've been out there during the day. I popped my head in yesterday to give them an apple and noticed it was not smelling too fresh. This is our coop set up. Would the DLM work in this run?

I've noticed this. Until last night, they've been out there during the day. I popped my head in yesterday to give them an apple and noticed it was not smelling too fresh. This is our coop set up. Would the DLM work in this run?

It will. I'd start with that pile of leaves beside the coop. Toss in some grass clippings next mowing, your table scraps, any wood chips and/or twigs, bark, dried pine needles, etc and you'll be well on your way..

It will. I'd start with that pile of leaves beside the coop. Toss in some grass clippings next mowing, your table scraps, any wood chips and/or twigs, bark, dried pine needles, etc and you'll be well on your way..
UGH. We raked and burned that pile. The kids would have loved being able to just throw those in the coop! We'll keep that little secret between us or I might have a mutiny on my hands. LOL I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on some more though. We have tons of trees. I clean off their poop tray every other day or so depending on the need, I use pine shavings. Could I just put those shavings in there or should I save that for our bigger compost pile since there's already poo in it?

We don't have leaves this time of year, so we start with hay & grass clipping after the spring clean out. As the landscaping gets weeded, we throw that it as well. Throughout the summer it's mostly grass clippings, fall brings leaves & pine needles. During the winter we add straw or hay.

Back
Top Bottom